Remove outside air adapter on 17-VL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
I've been thinking about removing the outside air adapter on my 17-VL. I'd keep it in case I ever do want to use the OAK, but for now it would be nice to not have it dangling down taking up space where I want to keep the next load of firewood to warm up/dry out. Think it'd be ok to remove it? It just bolts on.

I'd route it horizontally to directly behind the stove then straight down for a neater look that will stay out of the way. You can use small molys and nylon wire ties with screw hole to do this. That will give you a permanent fix.

BeGreen said:
I'd route it horizontally to directly behind the stove then straight down for a neater look that will stay out of the way. You can use small molys and nylon wire ties with screw hole to do this. That will give you a permanent fix.

Um...what? I'm talking about part #2 on the image I attached.

Attachments

• part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 275
Sorry joe, confused your installation with another. I would ask Englander about this. They may be relying on the OAK adapter as bottom heat shielding.

BeGreen said:
Sorry joe, confused your installation with another. I would ask Englander about this. They may be relying on the OAK adapter as bottom heat shielding.

That's fine. I was wondering if it was integral. It isn't installed on the "beauty shots" on their site, but that doesn't mean anything. If I decide I really want to remove it I will ask them. Thanks.

Did you happen to ask him what he thought of stashing firewood directly beneath the stove?

fossil said:
Did you happen to ask him what he thought of stashing firewood directly beneath the stove?

Not directly, but I asked about removing that OAK adapter so I would have more room for wood and he said that was fine. Plus it's designed to have firewood under there, to me asking what he thought of that would be like asking if it's ok to burn wood in the stove.

48rob said:
I try for 16" (15"-17")
It will take 17" plus...at an angle though to get through the door.

Rob

Yeah, I think I measured the firebox at 17.25" and the door at something like 13". Right now most of my wood is cut to 13" due to the tiny stove I was going to install (Amesti N380), but I think I'll try to up the log size to 15-16" to make it easier to load the box full. I was concerned that loading even a 16" piece would be a real hard time due to the 13" door opening but apparently it's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.