Removed insert - would like to convert to gas. Need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pielmini

Oct 22, 2012
Hi I need help! I have removed an old insert from our fireplace ( house built in 1980 and fireplace was built for wood) and covered the old brick with cement for a more modern look. I am unsure how to proceed and don't know what I need to convert to gas. I don't really need this fireplace for warmth so I was thinking converting it to gas so it would be cleaner. As you can see from the picture, I have the insert's pipe still in the chimney. I don't see any type of flue or way to close up the chimney like a wood burning is suppose to have. I plan to remove the pipe and the secondary metal layer on the sides of the box as seen in the pic, but don't know what to do next. Is layering the metal box with fireplace brick enough? Then I have a gas line run and add fake logs and glass front? The chimney on the outside is stucco and has a metal pipe ( different than the one hanging) maybe 10" in diameter for the chimney. Anyone have any ideas on the correct steps? Much Thanks,
--Pam fireplace.jpeg

Welcome Pam. I'm moving this thread to the gas forum for a more targeted response.

We need some more info, Pam. What part of the country are you located in?
Can you take a pic of the outside so we can see the ground & the top of the existing chase?
Can you also take a picture from across the room so we can see what the fireplace looks like?
Do you know what manufacturer & model insert you removed?
Do you know if the existing box was factory built or site built?
What are the dimensions of the opening (height, width & depth)?
Is that a 6" liner hanging down inside the fireplace?
As far as what can be put in there, without seeing more pix or having more info,
I'd say you would want to install a DV insert or you will just be sending your gas
dollars up the chimney, but give some more info & we'll help influence your decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.