Removing and closing off masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qbert247

Feb 20, 2022
Pa
Hi everyone! Ok i have a masonry chimney its been giving me trouble for prob 15 yrs now . Leaking water in behind and making wall damp behind the chimney . Pic attached is directly behind chimney looking up from basement at top of basement wall. I just had new metal roof installed and still get this moisture. Im thinking on tearing chimney down to ground level and cap it off and fix siding etc. Thinking water maybe wicking through the masonry block .. any info or opinions would be appreciated thanks

received_4624864740956818.jpeg

It certainly could be coming through the block. Block is porous. If the cap is in bad shape water can get down inside it, then have a hard time getting back out. If multi flu, you can put vents into the space between the flues to allow some air movement.

Waterproof the masonry

Hi everyone! Ok i have a masonry chimney its been giving me trouble for prob 15 yrs now . Leaking water in behind and making wall damp behind the chimney . Pic attached is directly behind chimney looking up from basement at top of basement wall. I just had new metal roof installed and still get this moisture. Im thinking on tearing chimney down to ground level and cap it off and fix siding etc. Thinking water maybe wicking through the masonry block .. any info or opinions would be appreciated thanks

View attachment 292388
Can we see some exterior pics?

That's a very straightforward setup. Is nothing connected to the chimney now?

Just a woodstove. Dont use it
If it is unused yeah just take it down. But from the pic it really doesn't look like it's flashed properly

I dont know. Was just done when roof was replaced in october. Think im taking chimney down. Dont need it . No worries then

I dont know. Was just done when roof was replaced in october. Think im taking chimney down. Dont need it . No worries then
Just because the roofer (just re did the flashing) doesn't mean it's right. I redo flashing just done by roofers all the time.

Reactions: Highbeam
Just because the roofer (just re did the flashing) doesn't mean it's right. I redo flashing just done by roofers all the time.
You are 100% correct . I am having some bids to look at it to figure out what would be best. I will have the flashing checked . Thanks for the info. What do u see wrong

You are 100% correct . I am having some bids to look at it to figure out what would be best. I will have the flashing checked . Thanks for the info. What do u see wrong
It looks like the top edge is just caulked not cut in properly.