Removing soapstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPLUMB

Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2006
Is it OK to remove the back row of soapstone in my Hearthstone Morgan insert? I now that the bottom is required to protect the cast iron but don't know ablout the back or the sides? I'm tring to make my firebox a little deeper Thanks guys Aaron

Its best NOT to change the design of a stove. I would talk to the dealer or better yet the manufacture.

Aaron your stove is designed to be used with the refactory package The Refactory is there to protect the outer cast iron from the extreme heat. IF fact a lot of engineering and testing went into that design ensuring that it functions effeciently safely and for longevity. removing them without re-engineering is not the way to go If you need more capacity in your firebox them opt for a
larger stove. This is not a good idea

Well, if ya gotta do it. I'll give ya ten bucks for them plus shipping. Put them in may insert and make it a soapstone stove.

No! Don't take the soapstone outta the firebox. Goofy as it is that Hearthstone calls that stove a soapstone stove when all they do is line a steel stove with a few bricks of the stuff.

Roospike said:
Alright , I'm going to have to call this one ............ EVERYBODY DOG PILE ON IPLUMB ! :lol:

OK OK Already I get it!!!!! I won't experiment....

Status
Not open for further replies.