Removing zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
It has been some time since I last posted, but thought that before I go off the deep end on this project I would as for some direction. My daughters family bought a mid-80's tract home. It has a 0-clearance box that needs to go. I had the great good fortune to come across a Rinnai 750 gas fireplace that was on display at a local hearth shop with a sign on it "not for sale". I bought it for a song and was able to source the vent kit from NZ where they are made. The 750 was discontinued in the States in about '08. It is Rinnai DV wall furnace turned into an 80% modulating gas valve/blower fireplace.
The current wood box is bricked in and she does not want that altered at this time. My plan is to cut out the existing box. Oh, the structure around the box is two story 2x4 stuccoed box off the side of the house. The danger here is dealing with the chimney. it is always fun cutting the bottom out of something with more of something suspended above you. I'll remove the cap and drop a line down to the bottom to keep the chimney in place while cutting the box our with shears, grinders and the fabulous little M12 Milwaukee Sawz-all. Tedious and dirty work it is. I can't really access the chimney from below for removal until at least one side of the box is removed

It has been some time since I last posted, but thought that before I go off the deep end on this project I would as for some direction. My daughters family bought a mid-80's tract home. It has a 0-clearance box that needs to go. I had the great good fortune to come across a Rinnai 750 gas fireplace that was on display at a local hearth shop with a sign on it "not for sale". I bought it for a song and was able to source the vent kit from NZ where they are made. The 750 was discontinued in the States in about '08. It is Rinnai DV wall furnace turned into an 80% modulating gas valve/blower fireplace.
The current wood box is bricked in and she does not want that altered at this time. My plan is to cut out the existing box. Oh, the structure around the box is two story 2x4 stuccoed box off the side of the house. The danger here is dealing with the chimney. it is always fun cutting the bottom out of something with more of something suspended above you. I'll remove the cap and drop a line down to the bottom to keep the chimney in place while cutting the box our with shears, grinders and the fabulous little M12 Milwaukee Sawz-all. Tedious and dirty work it is. I can't really access the chimney from below for removal until at least one side of the box is removed

Not sure what happened there but that post locked up and I was unable to continue it. Any way, I will be much obliged for any suggestions on this project.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to use a cinch strap up top with a firm grip on the chimney. Maybe put a couple screws in the chimney with 1/2" protruding, right above the top of the strap, circling the pipe to limit slippage concerns.