1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Renewable Fuel Oil Application in NH

Post in 'The Green Room' started by peakbagger, Mar 12, 2014.

1. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Cynnergy

Cynnergy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coast, BC
    This is really neat. I was looking into trying to make a biofuel out of waste veggie oil to run our oil stove on, but gave up that idea after looking into the details. I assume this company isn't into the home market because of the economics, not because the product wouldn't work?
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Home heating appliances burn #1 or #2 fuel oil (or diesel in a pinch). This product is targeted to #4 and #6 oil users. Generally #4 and #6 require preheating and more aggressive atomization that is not present in a home heating system.
  4. Cynnergy

Cynnergy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coast, BC
    I'm scared to try diesel in the oil stove - I think it will carbon up pretty quickly. Most of the bio-oils seem to be heavier than #1 and #2, too bad.

We'll probably eventually replace the oil stove with a wood cookstove, but it is a nice heritage feature and still in great condition, and it's more convenient too, so for the moment we'll keep it and hope that an easy, renewable choice comes along sooner rather than later.
  5. Circus

Circus Member

Loc:
    EC Wisconsin
    RFO is not biodiesel from waste cooking oil. Looks like a distilate from a anaerobic wood burning stove. Sort of like how charcoal is made.