1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Renting a stump grinder VS paying

Post in 'The Gear' started by Mroverkill, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Mroverkill

Mroverkill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern nj
    So im all done taking down some trees 2 dead spruce's (12" trunk) 1 "flower tree (6" trunk) one soft wood tree (12ish" )trunk one mostly rotted stump (12-15") and one either maple or ash (24-28") stump

the local rental company has a "portable" stump grinder that fits in a pickup with a 6" wheel. ARE these ANY good or am i going to spend two hours cutting a 12" stump.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Can you outdoor burn in your area? Place an open ended drum over it and burn it down..
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Would be interested in hearing the details on this method. I've got a few to grind or burn, myself.
  4. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Just put a barrel ( no top or bottom) over the stump, fill with brush or whatever you have, and it needs to be able to draw around the bottom. Works well on dead stumps. Sometimes they will smolder for days.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

That may work on dead stumps but it's gonna be a PITA to do on a green stump. See if there are any other friends or relatives (or neighbors) that need a stump or two ground out, and get everyone to pitch in and rent it for the weekend. That 6" wheel should be OK for the job (granted you have the stump cut off right at- or just above-ground level.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

or you COULD go out and buy one of these.....==c_g

PapaDave, zap and MasterMech like this.
  7. surviverguy

surviverguy New Member

I prefer the labor free method. Let the insects grind it down for you. I've heard that putting buttermilk into drilled holes helps them work at a quicker (frenzied) pace.
  8. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Or drill large holes and imbed unopened cans of beer. Then post your address on hearth.com.
    swagler85 and fox9988 like this.
  9. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Hmmm...like an adult Easter egg hunt.
  10. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Yeah, I've tried to burn out 2-3 year old oak stumps. Gets rid of the brush and thats about it.
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

It was all fun & games until he whipped out the leaf blower! _g
    ScotO and fox9988 like this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

:oops:_g !!;lol::-) ::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)

'nuff said. ;)
    kettensäge and ScotO like this.
  13. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    With a small machine like that (6" wheel) plan on at least an hour a stump don't forget there are roots that you need to chase too. I usually recommend pricing both rental & having someone come do it, There may not be a lot of difference.
  14. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    +1:eek::eek::eek:
  15. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I have burned several out. A couple big ones.
  16. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    I've rented 1 of those small grinders a time or two. They are not much fun to operate to say the least.
  17. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Most rental places only have small stump grinders that are a waste of time and money. The blades are usually as sharp as a bowling ball and wouldn't grind an Oreo. Unless you can rent a commercial model, it's better to get a few quotes to have it professionally done. I have rented a few stump grinders and will never bother with them again.
  18. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    I always burm them out. That is when it is safe to let burn for a few days.
  19. StuckInTheMuck

StuckInTheMuck Member

Loc:
    沖縄日本
    I rented a Vermeer SC252 from Sunbelt Rentals a year ago. Ran me about $320 for 8 hours of use over a weekend. I was grinding stumps along some skid trails so I could access more of my property with my pickup. The SC252 is listed by Sunbelt as a medium grinder. They retail for about 10k. I probably knocked down about 20 large stumps in the 8 hours that I had it. It was effective enough that I'm planning to rent it again but will probably tie it in with grinding some stumps for friends, so they help pay the cost. I've heard that those small grinders are a waste of time.. Good luck
  20. Mroverkill

Loc:
    Northern nj
    going to look at the unit today i think its not the small (6") one they guy said he thinks its a 12 or 14" wheel if its a 12" wheel then it wont be a problem but i heard those 6" suck even though im only doing 14"ish stumps
  21. nate379

nate379 Guest

I just called my local place and that is the same one they have. Retnal is $190 a day, $150 for 1/2 a day. Once the snow is all gone and the ground dries I'm going to borrow one to get 4-5 stumps gone. I cut them really low with the saw, but they are still getting hit with the mower once in a while.

22. StuckInTheMuck

StuckInTheMuck Member

Loc:
    沖縄日本
    It's a good machine. The rental price was somewhere around $250 but with all of the insurance, tax and whatnot it ended up around $320. The place that I went to read me the riot act about how much I'd have to pay if they had to replace any of the carbide teeth. After working it for a little while, you get to know the different sound between stump and rock. I inadvertently had the thing gnawing on a few rocks, but the teeth were fine. As long as you don't make any drastic moves near rocks, you can chew them up a bit with no problem. Something else to keep in mind if you're working on hilly terrain, keep in mind the center of gravity. I almost had it tip over once when I was moving it cross slope. It's more susceptible if you have the three wheel version . If you have the tricycle version, you will be tugging on the hand steering lever, sometimes futilely as there is not much weight on it. There was a lot of forward and back to get it where I wanted it to go when on muddy terrain. Don't try running it with a hangover... It hurts..
  23. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    The 252 is a toy compared the machines that the pro's use, the only thing we used a machine that small for was small stumps in back yards with fences. The 252 only has a 27 hp motor, The machines we used had 80-100hp. If you can't take at least a 2" cut per pass it's too small for me! I brought a 252 home to do a 24" white pine stump (how much softer can you get) and it took an hour and a half. WAY TOO LONG!!!!
  24. Mroverkill

Loc:
    Northern nj
    Went and took a look yesterday its a 12-14" wheel so its not the tiny one
  25. Mroverkill

Loc:
    Northern nj
    Rented the machine sat and other then the dead spruce (20"ish) and the 2 into one stump 28"x 20"ish things went well had all 7 stumps done in 3 hours and the last 2 took 3 hours lol

got mostly fine "mulch" trhat packed down into the holes with topsoil with this rain we just got