Repair Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Wife and I were both getting sick and she kept saying she could smell smoke when the stove was dampened down for night burn. I pulled the top stones off and found the 2 stone near the side feed door were not sealed. I pulled all the top stones and found a couple other spots where smoke was leaking past the seal's/ cement sealant. what I need to know know is how, and what product do I need to re-seal the stones when I put them back in?

you can see in the attached photo where the stone's where not sealed and leaking.

wood stove.jpg

What stove make and model is this? Hearthstone? It may be ready for a recementing. Use Hearthstone's cement for this.

What stove make and model is this? Hearthstone? It may be ready for a recementing. Use Hearthstone's cement for this.
yes it is a hearthstone Heritage 4, Just over a year burn time, manufacture date July 2020, If you look at the picture it looks like the 2 stone were above the side door were never cemented/sealed from the factory

Sounds like it's time to contact the dealer. This is a warranty issue.

Reactions: Dave1967 and EbS-P
Shouldn’t there be a negative pressure inside the stove? Air leaks in the wrong place are bad for any stove, but there shouldn’t be smoke escaping.

Fix the stove, but keep an eye open to possible other causes.

Reactions: Dave1967
Shouldn’t there be a negative pressure inside the stove? Air leaks in the wrong place are bad for any stove, but there shouldn’t be smoke escaping.

Fix the stove, but keep an eye open to possible other causes.
True, If you look at the picture I posted You can see where the sealant was and was not. those 2 on the left side did not have sealant on them from the factory. and you can see where the sealant was not thick enough and leaked in a couple other spots. I am assuming this was done on a Monday morning, or a Friday afternoon. I have had 2 older stove that that I ran until they were completely un-rebuildable. My parents had hearthstone Stove and we had never had a problem until I bought this one. Argg I guess they can not be 100% perfect all the time.