Repair masonry chimney or go stainless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maj92az

Sep 26, 2020
N Idaho
I've made a post last week about putting in a new liner. I was quoted 4500 because they need to remove my 6x10 oval tiles to fit a 8" liner. The chimney is 16ft outside and 1ft underground. It's a charmaster furnace (requires 8").

The cracks are vertical and really only about the last 5ft near the top. I'm sure there is a least another further but even with a bright light- hard to see any. 2 inspectors both said "near the top"

One suggested heatshield because its minor cracks. Another wants (only offers SS) a new liner.

My next option is to demolish the chimney and install a rigid pipe. The pipe would bypass the clean out and would go straight outside. The outlet is basically at ground level on the outside- about 4ft in the basment (home on a slope)

I would really like to lean to do this myself but feel funny demolishing a chimney.. but I like simple systems where nothing can go wrong... and to make matters worst. Super busy season for all chimney guys. Even if I went with the 4500 quote- could not be here until early December.

Attachments

• Repair masonry chimney or go stainless
    20201005_141527.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Repair masonry chimney or go stainless
    20201005_142531.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 110
I've made a post last week about putting in a new liner. I was quoted 4500 because they need to remove my 6x10 oval tiles to fit a 8" liner. The chimney is 16ft outside and 1ft underground. It's a charmaster furnace (requires 8").

The cracks are vertical and really only about the last 5ft near the top. I'm sure there is a least another further but even with a bright light- hard to see any. 2 inspectors both said "near the top"

One suggested heatshield because its minor cracks. Another wants (only offers SS) a new liner.

My next option is to demolish the chimney and install a rigid pipe. The pipe would bypass the clean out and would go straight outside. The outlet is basically at ground level on the outside- about 4ft in the basment (home on a slope)

I would really like to lean to do this myself but feel funny demolishing a chimney.. but I like simple systems where nothing can go wrong... and to make matters worst. Super busy season for all chimney guys. Even if I went with the 4500 quote- could not be here until early December.
That price is absurd for lining that chimney. Btw it looks like you may actually have proper clearances. But I would still recommend insulation