Repairing/sealing a crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
Hi everyone :) Anyone ever hear of this stuff? geocel pro flex http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geocel-Corp...se-Brushable-Sealant-/300894960161#vi-content

I got a quote today from a sweep for $480 which includes 2 flues swept, crown sealed and 2-3 SS caps, this sound right? He showed me the pics of the crown and there were obvious cracks and when I bought the house 4 months ago there were never caps installed......... Thanks!!

Yea that's expensive. The sweep said it was 80 to repair and seal the crown so..... yea

Yea that's expensive. The sweep said it was 80 to repair and seal the crown so..... yea
That's way too cheap! It needs a good wire brushing, cracks filled and the entire crown masked off and crown coated. It just can't be done properly for that price. If you want it to last, use crown coat from Chimney Saver. $80 sounds seems like a good deal, but it will not last.

Reactions: Heatsource
After rebuilding my chimney crown using concrete, I coated the new crown with CrownCoat by Chimney Saver. It goes on with a brush and cures to a light gray color in a few hours. That was about seven years ago. No cracks or any signs of degradation yet. The product isn't cheap ( I paid about $120 a bucket) - proving once again that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I rebuilt the crown after my sweep cleaned the chimney flue and completed repairs to the crown which didn't hold up - proving once again that if you want something done right - do it yourself.

Good luck with your repair.

Yea I attempted to get on the roof today..... I don't ever remember being that scared in my life but Im only 30 (I have an 11 pitch roof I was told) so yea I am not doing anything myself and I am going to make sure he does it right.

( I paid about $120 a bucket)
How much of the bucket did you actually use AND what ever was left is it still in a usable state? Not that I want it or anything just curious on how much waste there is if any.

Yea I attempted to get on the roof today..... I don't ever remember being that scared in my life but Im only 30 (I have an 11 pitch roof I was told) so yea I am not doing anything myself and I am going to make sure he does it right.

How much of the bucket did you actually use AND what ever was left is it still in a usable state? Not that I want it or anything just curious on how much waste there is if any.

Reckless:

I used the entire bucket on my crown - two coats. First a thin coat, then right away a second thicker coat - and then the bucket contents were "all gone."

Just curious how will you know the job was done right if you can't see what he did? You could rent a "man lift" to get up there. Just kidding!

Even if the sweep does it, make sure he masks of the clay tile and the entire peremiter of the chimney. Doing this makes a very nice clean line, otherwise it just looks sloppy.

Id like to bump this because I have not had the work done yet and am still thinking maybe I can do it myself. So, there are cracks in the mortar of the crown do those need to be filled in with something else first before the crown seal??

So, there are cracks in the mortar of the crown do those need to be filled in with something else first before the crown seal??
Yes, I use concrete crack repair in a tube from quickrete. It stays pliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.