replace chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

niceguypmp3

Dec 17, 2016
south-central Iowa
About 25 years ago, my parents installed a chimney on the house from the basement. They used the double walled insulated stainless 8" stove pipe and once outside at ground level they put brick around it clear up until there's only 4 feet or so that doesn't have brick around it at the top. They have a horizontal cleanout at ground level with a stainless lid on it. My question is, how concerned should a person be with replacing the stainless stovepipe that's inside the brick? The "T" that's at the bottom for the cleanout has over the years deteriorated and the inside stainless layer is gone on the "T" and you can see/feel the insulation of it. I dont even know how a person would go about replacing the T or any of the piping without tearing apart the brick chimney. Or should a person not worry about it since it's inside brick on all 4 sides?

If your pipe is double wall Insulated pipe, and 25 years old, it may have been one of the first ones around, I'm not sure when they started manufacturing them. Maybe the more difficult part will be identifying the manufacture of this pipe, you will need a Tee from the same manufacture or else it will not connect, otherwise you will need to replace everything.
Since they have a Stainless inner pipe you don't normally hear about it deteriorating. It could have been from a chimney fire, but it does need to be replaced. If this double wall pipe has twist lock connections, then you would have to disconnect the pipe from the tee coming out of the wall. Somewhere this pipe is being supported, and most times it is below the Tee. Once that pipe is removed then you would need to lift the pipe out from the top, and disconnect it as you go.
Hopefully someone else may have a better idea, to solve your problem

At 25 years and if one part of it is deteriorated that bad I would say that chances are that it all needs replaced. That may be very difficult because they built brick around it Iwould say you need a chimney pro to come out and look at it to see what could be done.

Reactions: Squisher