New masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Benstown

Aug 24, 2023
Iowa
Glad to be a new member, and I need help. I’m building a house and am planning on laying up a brick chimney through the center of the house, and plan to use a JA Roby Cook lx on the main floor kitchen. I love the aesthetics of the masonry chimney as the house will be rustic. I have found so much conflicting information and am not sure how to proceed. It seems the options are vitrified clay liner, or a stainless liner, or both? I want it to be safe, and I feel like the stainless liner is the best option. I see flexible insulated liners, double wall stainless, triple wall stainless… any advice would be appreciated . Stovepipe to roof is approximately 16’, there is a basement but no stove with be installed down there. Sorry for the basic questions, but I’m a little lost.

An insulated stainless steel liner will give a good long service life and will be easily replaceable when that life is over in 20-30 yrs. if the liner is heavy-duty flex or rigid stainless.

So if it’s inside of a brick chimney with no clay liner, will insulated double wall suffice or should I go with triple wall?

It sounds like you are thinking of class A chimney pipe. You don't need class A inside the chimney, double or triple wall. A single-wall, flexible or rigid liner that is properly insulated is sufficient.

Note that heavy-duty flex liners are hard to find. Usually, only professional sweeps get them. Rigid liners are easier to locate. They typically come in 4ft sections. With either system you will need a matching T snout that goes through the thimble. Also, think about adding a cleanout by extending the liner below the tee to a second capped tee on the bottom at the cleanout door.

Thanks so much for the reply. Is there any drawback to running the liner all the way down to the basement so the clean out door could be down there? I didn’t know if it would create a problem having 12 foot of unused pipe below the tee/thimble.

As long as the bottom tee is well sealed, it's ok to have the cleanout in the basement.

Thanks so much for the reply. Is there any drawback to running the liner all the way down to the basement so the clean out door could be down there? I didn’t know if it would create a problem having 12 foot of unused pipe below the tee/thimble.
That much extra pipe isn't ideal but as long as everything is sealed and insulated it will work fine. And put the clean out waist to shoulder high to make it easier to clean from the bottom.

Reactions: begreen
That much extra pipe isn't ideal but as long as everything is sealed and insulated it will work fine. And put the clean out waist to shoulder high to make it easier to clean from the bottom.
Good advice! I guess I would’ve imagined putting it close to the floor but it makes sense to put it up higher