Replace Jotul Firelight 12 with Napoleon 1900?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvcs

Sep 10, 2013
Mid 90's Firelight needs much repair - back burn plate, cat, cat housing, apron, peddle nuts/bolts. Kids wake up freezing - just won't burn all night anymore. Do I repair or buy something like a Napoleon 1900 since we're trying to heat about 1300 sq ft. (A-Frame open living area to kitchen). Not loving the cat, not loving the cold mornings. Need something that disseminates warm air better, and don't need a beauty.

Wounldn't recommend the Nap 1900. I have one and I'm not impressed with it's quality. Had to rebuild the inside after every season since new (this will be my 5th season). And every year, the replacement parts have been upgraded bc they new their were issues. 12 hr burn times??? Try 8-9 tops...IMO Napoleon DID NOT get it right the first time with this stove, it's just been a money pit.I blame myself for letting my local stove shop/installer talk me into it without doing much research. Now the secondary burn tube welds have separated, so I went right to the top and ordered a Blaze King yesterday. There's a reason they cost much less than the Big Dogs....I've learned first hand.

. . .but how do you really feel, Darren?;lol

To be fair, BK's cost more than pretty much everything out there. . .at least they do on the east coast. They command those prices because of the burn times they get. From what I've read, their build quality is adequate, but nothing spectacular.
. . .Everything inside the BK stoves is done exactly as it should be done. The only questionable thing is thin steel. They use 1/8" sheet for the body and 1/4" sheet for the top. That's right, sheet, not plate. . .

Last edited:
From what I've read, they don't disappoint. I can't find any negative feedback. I'm just saying, a fella shouldn't have to replace multiple fire bricks, both fiber roof tiles ,both roof to wall brackets, and the manifold assy at the end of EVERY burn season. And every year Napoleon sent beefed up parts, so they knew there were problems.

Last edited:
I have some real questions about how you were burning in that Nap, but not in this thread. >>

To the OP. That stove has got it done for a long time and is ready to rest in a recycle place. Lots of great stoves to heat the place and lots of people with experience with all of them here. And yes lots of them loving their Naps.

From what I've read, they don't disappoint. I can't find any negative feedback. I'm just saying, a fella shouldn't have to replace multiple fire bricks, both fiber roof tiles ,both roof to wall brackets, and the manifold assy at the end of EVERY burn season. And every year Napoleon sent beefed up parts, so they there were problems.

You beat the crap out of that stove. Period.

I have a Napoleon 1400P and heat around 2000sqft with it nicely. I get about 7/8 hours burn time with quality seasoned wood.

I have been vary happy with it.

I'm not bashing Napoleon's entire line of stoves. Just saying that I have not had good luck at all with the 1900P. I can tell you they had issues with the fire box. Every year the replacement parts were a different design.It took 3 different designs to get the ceiling boards correct,and with the final design eliminating the roof to wall brackets that wouldn't hold up. Maybe the 1900P was their problem model, kinda like Vermont Castings and their Defiant,from what I've seen on Youtube.

I'm not bashing Napoleon's entire line of stoves. Just saying that I have not had good luck at all with the 1900P. I can tell you they had issues with the fire box. Every year the replacement parts were a different design.It took 3 different designs to get the ceiling boards correct,and with the final design eliminating the roof to wall brackets that wouldn't hold up. Maybe the 1900P was their problem model, kinda like Vermont Castings and their Defiant,from what I've seen on Youtube.
i think you're right. i had a guy come look at my napoleon 1900 and he was baffled at the warping in my stove. We take very good care of our stove and it has failed miserably. I'm wondering if they are using some cheap chinese import materials. The guy that sold it to me is wondering if there is some kind of design flaw in this large stove. Our firebox is warped all over the place. We bought it brand new in 2010. In 2012 it was not throwing heat out anymore. I mean that the kids evacuated their freezing berooms to sleep in front of the stove and they were still cold! We were told by one fireplace guy that it looked like the stove was abused (accelerant or treated lumber). We have never used accelerant and we buy only the best wood money can buy. It is very frustrating to be acused of abusing the stove as an excuse not to warrant the stove. At this point we my take them to small claims because there must be many of us suffering with this Napoleon 1900.

Bought the Blaze King Princess and it's been going non-stop since mid November. Very happy with it, haven't lost a fire yet! Sleep uninterrupted all night and just throw more wood on hot coals in the morning...it's a beautiful thing. So far, I would definitely recommend one. Super controllable when the temp outside warms up, just dial that sucker down and it works like a charm.No more restarting fires, I hated that...

Status
Not open for further replies.