Replace Whitfield Advantage or Not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garys314

Oct 10, 2007
I have a 20 plus year old whitfield advantage insert. Most parts have been replaced at least once with parts failing all the time. Thinking of upgrading to homedepot type replacement. Does this make sense?

TIA,

Gary

That's up to you. Do you want or need a big box store type of stove or maybe
one of the better quality North American-built stoves (Harman, Envrio) like I said
it is your decision.

I have a 20 plus year old whitfield advantage insert. Most parts have been replaced at least once with parts failing all the time. Thinking of upgrading to homedepot type replacement. Does this make sense?

TIA,

Gary
I used to have an Advantage Insert. It was a good stove. Obviously the decision is yours on what to do. I would think twice about the quality and reliability of a stove sold by HD. I upgraded to a Harman and never looked back.

What parts are failing all the time? Three motors and three sensors. yes. I was told Whitfield and Breckwell were similar. I have a 30 year old Breckwell, analog, and it's running strong. I would rather replace parts than spend $4000+ on a new one. Although a new one would be nice. I have replaced the blower many times and the exhaust twice and one sensor in all that time. I get frustrated sometimes too when I have to work on it but I know it like the back of my hand. Like they all said, it's your choice.