Replaced black bart 2 with regency i3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matrix961

Jan 13, 2017
First post here but I've been browsing the forums for some time now. I've really enjoyed the knowledge I've gained from these forums so far.

We moved into a new house in July and it had this old black bart 2 insert. We used it through Nov-Dec when we realized that it was a real wood hog. We are supplementing with wood heat since our house has electric baseboards. The old insert heated well since we have really good airflow throughout our lower level but the wood consumption was crazy.

After doing research I finally decided on the Regency i3100 and my local fireplace store had the floor model on sale so I jumped on it. My total for insert, new liner, and install was $3960.

So far we are loving it and the folks at the store have been very helpful. The only issue we have had is with the third air tube. Keeps falling out so I came up with a fix that seems to be working well (last pic below).

Old Black Bart 2.
20170116_083539_001.jpg

New i3100.
20170116_115016.jpg

First fire.
20170116_121524.jpg

Preventing air tube from falling out by using a stainless steel hose clamp as a stopper. Seems to work so far, just have to make sure it stays tight. I situated it so it doesn't interfere with the baffle.
20170119_180126.jpg

Burn times have been really good. I can fully load it up at night and have a nice bed of coals in the morning. This was one of our main goals.

One thing I wonder is why the manual says not to run the fan with the airflow set below half? Would that seriously hurt it? I'd really like to have the fan on low pushing heat out and being able to set the airflow down 3/4 closed to burn even slower overnight. That's what we did with the black bart.

I have a thermometer coming (condar medallion) today. I see that some people put it on the front in the right corner but also see some in other locations across the front above the door. So far I've read the higher temps with my ir gun in the middle above the door and a few spots to the left and right of that. The corners seem cooler. I'll have to search more on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you install that air tube with a pair of vise-grips & a hammer?
That's the recommended method.
They NEVER fall out after they're driven home.
Grab the tube a couple of inches from the right end with the vise-grips & lock em.
Align the slot in the tube with the tab in the hole & whack the vise-grips with the
hammer. It should seat so snugly that you'll need to reverse that step to remove it.

Did you install that air tube with a pair of vise-grips & a hammer?
That's the recommended method.
Grab the tube a couple of inches from the right end with the vise-grips & lock em.
Align the slot in the tube with the tab in the hole & whack the vise-grips with the
hammer. It should seat so snugly that you'll need to reverse that step to remove it.

I did try that as that's what the manual said to do to install it but maybe I didn't hit it hard enough. I'll have to try it again. I made sure it was lined up and everything but still popped out a second time. I'll give it another go.

And it should be noted that you can probably remove the baffle for cleaning without removing any tubes-see manual.

I did try that as that's what the manual said to do to install it but maybe I didn't hit it hard enough. I'll have to try it again. I made sure it was lined up and everything but still popped out a second time. I'll give it another go.
Yes. That will work. Again, probably never have to remove again.

And it should be noted that you can probably remove the baffle for cleaning without removing any tubes-see manual.
I cant in my 3100 I need to pull a tube. They seem to vary some I work on you don't have to others you do.

We have had a few that we had to pinch that notch closed a little bit to get them to stay.

I cant in my 3100 I need to pull a tube. They seem to vary some I work on you don't have to others you do.

We have had a few that we had to pinch that notch closed a little bit to get them to stay.

You know the notched end seems to be flared out a tiny bit at the end. It's just really lose no matter how hard I hit it. So you're saying to pinch that closed a bit so it's a tighter fit with the notch? How did you go about doing that?

You know the notched end seems to be flared out a tiny bit at the end. It's just really lose no matter how hard I hit it. So you're saying to pinch that closed a bit so it's a tighter fit with the notch? How did you go about doing that?
yeah just a little bit. We just do it with a pair of pliers. It is possible that since it was a floor model the shop may have shown quite a few people how to remove the tube and it got worn or bent a little.

yeah just a little bit. We just do it with a pair of pliers. It is possible that since it was a floor model the shop may have shown quite a few people how to remove the tube and it got worn or bent a little.
Well that was the issue I think. I closed that notch on the tube a bit and now its a tight fit. I had to bang it in with the vicegrips and hammer. It seems like its in there snug now. Thanks for the info. :)

Reactions: bholler