Replaced VC Intrepid with a PE Super 27 - wow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk99

Hi all.

This is my wood stove story.

I have been toying with supplemental wood heat for the last 5 winters with varied success. I bought a house that came with an old VC Intrepid wood stove. I had never used a wood heater myself until that point. I could get heat out of the old Intrepid, but I always had to keep an eye on the thing as it would creep up in temp, and if I throttled back, even a bit too much it would die..seems I would just find the sweet spot, and get a few hours of good heat out of the darned thing and the small fuel capacity of the Intrepid would come into play and I would have to add more wood, which seemed reset that sweet spot, and I would have to fiddle again to find it...Needless to say, the thing only really ran on weekends when I was home to watch it because my wife was too busy with other things to babysit this old stove.

Anyway, with the price of fuel for my primary LP forced air heating system going up this year, I thought there must be a better way to get some more wood BTU's this winter as I have a lot of ash on my property that I can use. So, I started doing research on the Intertubes and found this web site. So I started looking at what folks on here said about the Super 27 that my local Stove shop recommended for my application and found generally favorable comments.

So I spent some cash and had the local stove shop install a Super 27 ped with ash pan. It was a pretty easy install, as they basically removed the old Intrepid, trimmed up the double-walled pipe to fit, gave me a lesson on how to use it and answered a few questions I had and away they went..less than 2 hours.

So, last night after supper I fired it up to cure the paint as the installers recommended and opened the windows to let out the paint fumes..That is a nasty smell. I have to marvel at how easy the thing lit, and watching that secondary burn as people have described on this forum truely is mesmorizing! I found that the stove needs to get to 550-600F before you switch it to low to keep the secondary burn running..I played around with it but did not add any more wood after about 9:30pm last night, set it to low around 10pm and went to bed. I came down this morning expecting to find a cold stove and ashes like my Intrepid would have left me, but to my delight the stove top still read 300F and I had 3 or 4 inches of glowing embers in the bottom of the thing. I opened the draft and threw a split on it just to see how easy it would light back up and it had no problems at all. Within a few minutes the fire was started again. I let it get up to temp and again set it to low, had breakfast and before I left to go to work I took a peek to see those secondary flames swirling around. I can see this is going to be a great stove to use after what I was used to. With home heating prices rising and all that, this stove can really be considered an investment as I hope it will pay itself back in 2 or 3 years if I can keep it going 24x7 which appears not to be an issue. If anyone is still running an older stove like I was, and you have the resources you really should check out the benefits of the new advanced tech stoves!

Looking forward to some cold now.

Mr. K from Canada

P.S. I will try to upload before and after pics later

I convinced a friend to do the same thing. He had been heating with an Intrepid which was undersized for his place. Every morning the place was cold. This year he replaced it with a T5 and so far is a very happy camper.

Good for you- The ease of use and better heat will really translate to quality of life (man- I remember running the old VC when I was a kid... I always smelled strongly of smoke going to school). Stick around and smack down all the nay sayers that think the old stoves are so much better.

Finally got some pictures and some time.

The first picture is the old VC Intrepid in the condition it was in when we took possesion of our house in 2003..It cleaned up nicer than that but oddly enough I don't have a picture of it other than this one.

The Second is the new PE Super 27 cranking out some heat just last week. Some minor trimming of the double wall stove pipe was required by the installers, but other than that is was a very straight forward swap.

Attachments

• old_stove.jpg
    old_stove.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 0810150061 (Medium).JPG
    0810150061 (Medium).JPG
    31 KB · Views: 321
mrk99 said:
...This is my wood stove story...

Nice story. I love a happy ending. That PE Super 27 has a lot of appeal to me. I came close to buying the insert version, but held off...for now. Good luck with your new set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.