Replacement door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I have Jotul Rockland insert and it’s definitely time I replace door gasket. The manual calls for low density gasket. Any thought on if it’s necessary to replace with manufacturers gasket or would the generic stuff do? The local Jotul dealer tried to talk me into the generic that they carry, but this will the first time I’ve done replacement myself and only want to do it once.

IMHO, do it correctly the first time. It makes your life a lot easier ;)

Once you do it, then you can play.

After one round with all the "real" PE stuff, I was good to go with a kit.

I lift that door off like a Rock Star ;lol

Just called them again and was told that they use a generic gasket for all Jotul and have had success with that. The front desk person asked the stove manager, who said that as long as it was low density gasket that is fine.
I noticed that the manual calls for an LD2 gasket while the gasket for the window is an LD. Not sure what makes it an LD2.
The stove shop (very reputable here in CT) made it sound like no one has ever insisted on manufactures gaskets only.
What do you all think?

At the end of the day there is probably no difference in the functionality between the two. They're (dealer) just trying to save you some $. Plus the dealer should be giving you the straight scoop. But your the boss, buy what your comfortable with. Kevin

Thanks all, I called them back and asked for the manufacturer stuff. Piece of mind, especially with it getting toward the cold time of year.

You'll get a chance to change it fri/sat, no need for burning those days.

Reactions: Dix