Replacement fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Orerockon

Oct 30, 2020
Oregon
I think this was answered somewhere but I'm just not finding it. I have an EPA high efficiency stove and the firebrick is cracking and falling into the box. They are more or less white clay or ceramic (probably) and line the bottom of the box on 3 sides. My questions are: what is the best replacement brick? Cost is not an issue as long as it's not astronomical. I want them to last as long as the originals (over 10 years now). Right now there is one row of standard size bricks around the box. Does it make sense to add another row or even pile them up to the top? I have no problems cutting them to fit, been using rock saws for a few decades.

I think this was answered somewhere but I'm just not finding it. I have an EPA high efficiency stove and the firebrick is cracking and falling into the box. They are more or less white clay or ceramic (probably) and line the bottom of the box on 3 sides. My questions are: what is the best replacement brick? Cost is not an issue as long as it's not astronomical. I want them to last as long as the originals (over 10 years now). Right now there is one row of standard size bricks around the box. Does it make sense to add another row or even pile them up to the top? I have no problems cutting them to fit, been using rock saws for a few decades.
What stove is it? You should be using the same type of brick originally specified

It's a Sierra about 10 years old. I honestly don't remember the model but it's a catalytic stove. The bricks are what looks like white ceramic. They aren't the porous type. The website I bought them from is gone and I see many brands, been googling for an hour and I don't see any consistent "these are great" reviews. Lots of poo-pooing about melting and breaking though. I got a state and federal tax credit for it so it must have been a good one lol.

If they are conventional firebrick, the local lumberyard, masonry supply or big box store should have them.