replacement glass for a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
A freind of mine last year installed an inexpensive steel wood stove from Menards. While using the stove a log turned,flipped,fell or jumped into the glass and cracked it.

He tried he said several times calling the company of the stove with no response. So he went to a glass place and they sold him a glass that was tempered and when he was using it recently the entire glass shattered. I would guess that tempered glass is a big no no as the original one that cracked was not tempered but mor ethan likely ceramic since it only cracked.

Sooooo were can he find ceramic glass for this door window? It is just a square glass. Is there any sites that show replacement glass for these general no name stoves. I will try to find the name tomorrow as he did not know off hand what it was. Stove was something like $3-400 range and not very big.

I am surprised that the glass shop sold him tempered glass. What he needs is pyroceram or neoceram transparent ceramic. Several places on the web sell it cut to size buy you might be able to get it from a local shop.

I brought my door into the local glass shop. They sold me something that sounded like pyrex. It was supposed to be able to resist a log impact up to 1600 degrees or so. They guy said it was expensive, but it only cost around $16 due to the small window on the stove.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.