1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Replacement Handles

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by guudbears, Nov 18, 2012.

1. guudbears

guudbears New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have an Olympic Crest woodburning stove that has woodent handles. One of them cracked and I've carved a new one from an old axe handle. I want to glue it in place but am unsure as to what kind of glue/adhesive to use. Any thoughts out there? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I'd use regular carpenters or elmer's glue. They are essentially the same thing but Elmer's is cheaper. Since I don't foresee any moisture issues you don't need to worry about waterproof/resistant glues. Ploy glues are messier than needed. Hide is a pain in the ash. Go as simple as possible, carpenters and Elmers make a joint stronger than the wood.

Matt
  3. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    VC Handles.jpg I

I found the pic of the handles I fabed in the forge for my Olympic Crest VC knock-off

would imagine any glue will be effected by the heat transfer from the stove so you may run into trouble there. If you go to the pre-epa forum and do a search for VC Defiant threads you will see pics of the bird cage handles I made for mine. I ran the same stove you have last year and did not like the junk wood handles so I fabed up some steel ones.

They are very similar to the one I fabed for my new stove pictured here finished stove 009.JPG
  4. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    that looks great. Love the birdcage.

I made birdcage rock holders to use as gate closers in my garden....