Replacement Handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guudbears

Jan 24, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
I have an Olympic Crest woodburning stove that has woodent handles. One of them cracked and I've carved a new one from an old axe handle. I want to glue it in place but am unsure as to what kind of glue/adhesive to use. Any thoughts out there? Thanks

I'd use regular carpenters or elmer's glue. They are essentially the same thing but Elmer's is cheaper. Since I don't foresee any moisture issues you don't need to worry about waterproof/resistant glues. Ploy glues are messier than needed. Hide is a pain in the ash. Go as simple as possible, carpenters and Elmers make a joint stronger than the wood.

Matt

VC Handles.jpg I

I found the pic of the handles I fabed in the forge for my Olympic Crest VC knock-off

would imagine any glue will be effected by the heat transfer from the stove so you may run into trouble there. If you go to the pre-epa forum and do a search for VC Defiant threads you will see pics of the bird cage handles I made for mine. I ran the same stove you have last year and did not like the junk wood handles so I fabed up some steel ones.

They are very similar to the one I fabed for my new stove pictured herefinished stove 009.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.