Replacing a baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrypka

May 23, 2012
First, thanks to the kind folks on my other thread who pointed me toward the BK Princess...I think that is the way I'm going to go. So, now I need to decide what to do with my 15-year old Century. There are no dealers up here, and I can't find a manufacturer phone number, so I doubt I'm going to be able to find a baffle for it. Besides the baffle, firebrick, and gasket, I think it is in really good shape. Used stoves bring a pretty penny up here, so I was thinking I'd try to repair it enough to make it sellable.

The baffle in the Century is 2 pieces of steel, with some fiberglass-looking filling about 1.5 inches thick sandwiched between them. Does anyone know what that filling material is? It looks really good so I figured I could reuse it. The top piece of steel for the baffle is also in good shape. It is just the bottom part that is warped and has a hole in it. That steel is like 1/4" thick, and bent up in the front and rear to make a broad, shallow, U-shape to hold the filling. I was thinking of getting steel for the baffle from the local steel vendor, but I doubt I can get it bent like that, so figured I'd have it welded into the U shape. My question is, do I need a certain kind of steel for the heat, or just standard 1/4" plate steel?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks all for the wonderful site. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some as I learn more too. -Jeff

The material between the layers of steel is probably a ceramic wool insulation like kaowool. You should be able to have a local metal shop make you a new bottom baffle piece,.

It is cold rolled mild steel. Your local iron works should be able to cut and bend a piece for you. Used to get the one here to do it to make a new baffle for my Sierra stove every few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.