Replacing a masonry fireplace/chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Snyder

Nov 26, 2013
Souther California
Hello all...I'm a newbie and would like some help if possible. We are in escrow on a mountain cabin and during the home inspection the inspector found some disturbing issues with the fireplace. He said in a nut shell "Don't use it...tear it down and replace it". He found a stair step crack in the exterior mortar joints that ran about 2-1/2 to 3 feet long up several courses of brick. Those bricks are displaced outward by about 1/2 inch. He also said it looked like the area below the hearth has collapsed some.

So...if we need to have it torn out, I would probably go with some type of zero clearance wood burning fireplace in lieu of rebuilding a masonry fireplace (due to cost). Any suggestion on what to do and I know this would be a guess, but what something like that might cost. The inspector said it could be in the $15,000-20,000 range. I thought that sounded a bit high. Any thoughts?

I would guess it to be more in the $8-12,000 range for a good unit depending on the size of the FP and how fancily it's finished out. A cheap contractor grade ZC fireplace might even end up less.

Status
Not open for further replies.