Replacing a prefab?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

va aviator

Dec 14, 2011
Virginia
Hi all,

I was directed here as I was told this was the place with all the answers.

Anyway - The home we purchased this year had something I've not come across until now - a pre fab fireplace. It's a 25+ year old Marco, the fireplace and flue is in a wood framed offset. The only masonry is a brick veneer on the hearth.

We had the unit inspected by a chimney sweep, and we were told it was OK to use however the refractory had a crack that should be ok.

However, after several uses you could clearly see that at operating temperature the refractory had multiple small cracks. This, combined with an uncomfortable smell that I could only describe as "something that's getting a little too hot" we stopped using it.

The chimney sweep told us that we would be unable to install a wood stove, however I'm not sure that this is entirely correct.

Has anyone successfully* replaced a prefab unit with a wood stove? And more importantly, how much money? I'm OK with up to say, $3,000. After that the benefits just don't justify the cost, at least in my mind.

Thanks for the help.

*In compliance with building codes in a practical manner that doesn't require tearing down half of the house

Installing a wood stove/insert in a prefab may or may not be possible for you. Try to get a hold of the owner's manual for your Marco and see if one is allowed in your fireplace. This is a legal/safety hornet's nest and you should be careful.

If an insert is available/allowed in your prefab it will most likely be quite small. The legal/safety/code issue is a big hassle. Not to mention do you really know your prefab was installed right? If you are getting the "something is too hot" smell that is a problem and I wouldn't be putting an insert in there. Rip it out and put in a freestanding stove. You will be much happier with the outcome. Check out the link in my signature. I removed a z/c and did all the work and i have less than $3000 in it. Was alot of work but now that it's done i wouldn't have it any other way.

cmonSTART said:
Installing a wood stove/insert in a prefab may or may not be possible for you. Try to get a hold of the owner's manual for your Marco and see if one is allowed in your fireplace. This is a legal/safety hornet's nest and you should be careful.

I guess I should clarify -
I'm not so much interested in jamming a wood stove inside the existing fireplace as one would do with a traditional fireplace and wood stove insert.
What I'd like to know is if it's possible to rip out the existing fireplace and flue, and somehow install a wood stove utilizing some portion of the space that the prefab unit occupied.

It used to be OK to take a house with no fireplace at all and stick a wood stove in it, run a pipe through the roof or wall and be done with it. As far as I know that's still possible today? I would want to do something similar, except I'd like to use the open space where the existing flue is if at all possible. I'm sure the "opening" where the current firebox stands could easily be "re engineered" to provide better clearances.

That's your best option. Rip that thing out and dispose of it.

You'll have to use the proper parts (stainless Class A chimney where needed,) but it can certainly be done. I'm not sure of the specifics of your home, but you could probably meet your $3k budget doing the work yourself.

Some members here have done just what you're talking about. It's a lot of work. The most recent one I remember involved a whole lot of rip-out, rebuilding, installing new Class A chimney, and placing a free-standing woodstove on a newly built hearth pad that was incorporated into what is basically an alcove installation. Turned out beautiful. If I can find a pic of it, I'll post it here. In any case, folks who've done what you're talking about may well be joining into the thread any time. Rick

OK, found one. Check out this thread for what one member did in his place. There are others...you might try some searches, especially using the word "alcove". Some pics of what you're starting with and details about the space you're looking to heat, and information about your location would be helpful. Rick

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81790/P0/

fossil said:
Some members here have done just what you're talking about. It's a lot of work. The most recent one I remember involved a whole lot of rip-out, rebuilding, installing new Class A chimney, and placing a free-standing woodstove on a newly built hearth pad that was incorporated into what is basically an alcove installation. Turned out beautiful. If I can find a pic of it, I'll post it here. In any case, folks who've done what you're talking about may well be joining into the thread any time. Rick

You talking abut mine? :) shameless chance to post pics of my alcove again.

GEDC0640.JPG

Ok folks I appreciate the feedback. I was pretty sure it could be done, but then again anything can be done with enough money!

Attached is a high quality technical drawing of what I envision from the powerful program known as MS Paint. LOL.

fireplace.jpg

cwill, you can post that beauty at every available opportunity. Like a fine wine, it just gets better. :) Rick

Cwill - That's pretty close to what I have.

If so looks like this could be a possibility!

Not sure when it will happen - house has come a long way since we bought it (fixer upper) and we still need to replace windows and I need a workshop BAD... was looking forward to some wood heat but I just don't think what we have is safe, and even if it was it's inefficient. Would love to have a nice wood stove.

va aviator said:
Cwill - That's pretty close to what I have.

If so looks like this could be a possibility!

Not sure when it will happen - house has come a long way since we bought it (fixer upper) and we still need to replace windows and I need a workshop BAD... was looking forward to some wood heat but I just don't think what we have is safe, and even if it was it's inefficient. Would love to have a nice wood stove.

took me over a year before i was ready to do it all. plenty of time to get your wood around now and get the planning part done. If you have any doubt about your fireplace( sounds like you do), block it off and don't use it.

I did the opposite of what you want to do. My ZC was only 10 years old bought a Avalon insert RATED for my ZC. IMHO...best thing I could of done. The ZC was like having a window open with cold air coming in, needed to light a fire just to off set the cold air. You'll be surprise how much heat these inserts give off, even with a small box..yes I have to tend to the stove more but not near as much as when I burned in the ZC...and I don't mind because thats part of burning.

The smell you bring up about your ZC was common on the first burns of the season after sweeping the chimney. After a couple burns it would go away.
md

Having done a total ZC demo I'm with the other posters here and say go for it. It will take some work but it's well worth it in the end. If you're relatively handy you can do all the demo yourself as well as some of the finishing to save some money. I did the demo and prep work, had a sweep install the pipe and fireplace (DW - still wanted the ambiance of a fireplace vs stove) and then did the refinishing. If you're fireplace is giving you signs that something just isn't right then why take a chance ? As part of our demo we found all kinds of code violations that were just trouble in waiting.

Joining the shameless camp .....

Attachments

• IMG_2744 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2744 (Medium).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 281
  • CHASE_REMEDIATION_4.jpg
    CHASE_REMEDIATION_4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 6_Ladera.jpg
    6_Ladera.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 275
Why yes, it has and can be done..

OK, I don't know whats up with my PB account.. but hey, vvv click the link vvvv

Havn't taken a pic of the finished product, should be home and have time this weekend or next..

I replaced my prefab. One of the best things I've done for my home since I replaced my windows. Not cheap, since the existing pipe wasn't usable, but worth it in the long run if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.