Replacing a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
With all the years of experience in this forum, I am sure many of you have replaced stand-alone wood stoves from time to time.
In the fall of 2018 I installed a Pleasant Hearth free standing stove in the corner of my living room where there had never been a stove. I built the hearth, cut through the ceiling and then the roof. Everything was built and installed per the clearances for that stove. Now I am thinking (wishing) I had something better.
I wish the fire box was bigger (mine is 1.2 cubic ft.) Bigger firebox mean bigger stove, which may impact the location of the flue when the proper clearances are observed when placing the stove. Which means the flue is not lined up with my existing stove pipe and chimney. Rebuilding the hearth and adding two 45 degree seems like an option although two 45s might bring the stove a bit too far out. I would have to calculate the distance. Is there such a thing as flexible stove pipe??

I do not have anything in mind as a replacement unit at this time. I am just trying to do my homework as I think about my options.

Thanks for passing on your knowledge gained from experience.

I replaced a 1.9 cuft with a 2.4 cuft. I have an alcove install which like you, gave me some clearances that I had to watch. I was able to find several stoves that were drop-in replacements. You might do some stove research before thinking about rebuilding.

I had to add an offset when we moved up to the T6 from the F400. No problems, it works fine and the sooteater snakes through it easily.

Attachments

• 45_flue_offest_web.jpg
    45_flue_offest_web.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 47
I had to add an offset when we moved up to the T6 from the F400. No problems, it works fine and the sooteater snakes through it easily.
I’ve always wondered how the sooteater would handle a tight offset like that. Good to know.

you can also rotate the offset so that you move the stove sideways or even closer to the wall.

It's a corner install and the hearth is recessed into the floor so my options are limited in order to maintain clearances and at least 16" of hearth in front of the door. Tom may have more options, depending on the replacement stove requirements.