replacing an insert with a woodstove--couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Hello, Seeking some advice/thoughts here.
I am currently burning a Regency R14 wood insert in a masonry chimney in a drafty old stone farmhouse. This fall I am contemplating gutting the exterior walls and insulating as much as I can to help save heat loss and $$. I would like to change the insert over to a woodstove and use the existing 5" SS flew liner. I am attempting to heat a 80 yr old 1 1/2 storey farmhouse, approx 2,000 sq'.
Here are some questions....
I am looking at a PE T5 or Regency 2400--- and would like the most radiant heat I can achieve....Any stoves you would recommend and why?
When I knock out the existing brick hearth and rebuild anything I should be aware of liner wise, clearance wise.?
Anything else??
I have been revisiting a couple of posters rebuilds (Dakota's Dad) and have gotten inspiration to do the same.
Great site, thanks for any info/knowledge you may help me with.

ps. When I sort out the adding photos, I will update this thread.

Did you mean to say 5†SS flew liner? If you're referring to the inside diameter, that would be an odd size. Almost any woodstove would need 6", and some large woodstoves need 8". The only way to use the existing liner if it was the right ID would be to use a rear vent stove with a tee attaching to the liner. You may be able to use a top vent and then 90 degree over to a tee to the liner, but that would require enough height and be 2 90 degree bends. You'd be better off in the long run abandoning the liner and just going straight up through the roof with Class A chimney. This would give you a better draft and be much easier to sweep. The Regency 2400 is a good stove. Would also recommend the Lopi Liberty (that's what I have). If you have nothing but brick masonry behind the stove, with no combustibles, clearances shouldn't be an issue, but I would decide on a stove and get the specs before you do any rebiuldiing, especially of the hearth.

PM sent about posting pictures... WHS covered about everything else in his post I think..

I would go up to a T6 for a 2000 sq ft house in a cold climate. Or, if the desire is for a more radiant stove I would get a Jotul F600 or a Quadrafire Isle Royale. PE stoves are more convective and produce most of their heat from the front and top In steel, the Englander 30NC will be more radiant than the PE line. However, with the increased insulation, if the stove is somewhat centrally located, convection may work out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.