Replacing an Old Electrical Switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
The electrical switch was in a basement hallway and has gone bad. The only things I can find at our local home stores are larger than this and deeper than this. This has an over all width of 3.5 inches and a depth (to the face plate) of about 5/8 of an inch.

I could tear into the wall and replace w/ a modern box and switch, but w/ the old wiring my general feeling is the less it is flexed, the better. So, I am hoping to find a replacement. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

pen

lightswitch001.jpg

lightswitch002.jpg

If you take that to an electrical supply place, they should have something that will drop in. Will be more expensive than the big box stores but a lot easier than tearing up the wall.

you asked for suggestions, so cut the hole and put in the plastic box, you shouldn't have to flex the old wires too much and they will be better protected inside of the box.

I don't see any reason to risk leaving that stuff exposed inside your wall.

duh,
I don't know how I missed the screw holes in that switch, I was assuming it was like the ones I see without boxes, in basements especially.

benjamin said:
duh,
I don't know how I missed the screw holes in that switch, I was assuming it was like the ones I see without boxes, in basements especially.

Oh yeah there's a box! It's just smaller than most today. It's not knob and tube wiring or anything like that, just has the old fabric insulation. In all, it is in good shape.

pen

Easy replace the cover with This and you are done.

getimage_new.jpg

That silver/black fabric coated romex is what I have in my 1963 house, and it's plenty flexy and really pretty good. Only thing about it is that the ground is much smaller than modern ground wires for the same size conductors. I'd put in a remodel (old work) box and modern switch.

seige101 said:

getimage_new.jpg

Problem with those is I can't see the back side. I bet it's as deep as a typical modern outlet and won't fit in this old utility box. Wish they had a 360 view there.

Thanks.

pen

Highbeam said:
That silver/black fabric coated romex is what I have in my 1963 house, and it's plenty flexy and really pretty good. Only thing about it is that the ground is much smaller than modern ground wires for the same size conductors. I'd put in a remodel (old work) box and modern switch.

This definitely is the romex but predates the 60's. Separate ground running to the box itself. Even the copper feels stiff for it's size. My house was built in 63 and has the same silver/black stuff. This is in my mother-in-laws house and the wire appears a little different w red / white / flat black and different rubber casing around the copper itself.

But in all you are right, it really wouldn't be that hard to change it other than it's a damn plaster wall and I know it's going to break to bits when I start cutting into it. Then god only knows if it can support the old work box.

Guess if I can't find a source for old style switches i'll find out!

pen

pen said:
seige101 said:

getimage_new.jpg

Problem with those is I can't see the back side. I bet it's as deep as a typical modern outlet and won't fit in this old utility box. Wish they had a 360 view there.

Thanks.

pen

A standard switch is 7/8" deep so prob not gonna work. You could put an extension cover on the box to bump it out another 1/2".

Try an old local independant hardware store. You might luck out and find they have one kicking around somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.