Replacing Efel Kaimina

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cleartron

Nov 18, 2021
Norwalk, CT
Hi Everyone,

It's year 2 of our journey to heating our house only with wood. We currently live in a raised ranch with an Efel Kamina on the top floor and an Olympic insert on the lower level. We get wood for free (i have to split and season) and have about 4-5 cords this year so we should be good for this winter. The stove does a great job at heating our home, we just are going through a good amount of wood to do so. I'm starting to get the itch to replace the Kamina.

The issue is the depth clearance. The hearth is about 20ish inches in depth and I lay a 32" x 42" Hearth Pad in front of the stove as additional protection. The rear is 100% stone (not veneer) and masonry.

If I wanted to replace it, what slim line/rear vent stoves could I fit in this tight space? I was looking at the MF Fire Nova since it has a small footprint but really like the side loader of the Kamina.

Any stove suggestions for a small-footprint stove would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

15991c77-2b71-4ba0-99e3-71bcf740e080.jpg

The Kamina is a serious heater.
For a replacement, the 20" hearth depth could be a challenge, so could the flue thimble height. Can the hearth be built out a bit more?

Look at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. It side loads. And there is the Hearthstone Manchester II - 8362. There is also the Jotul F500 v3 but the track record for this version has not been well established yet.

The Kamina is a serious heater.
For a replacement, the 20" hearth depth could be a challenge, so could the flue thimble height. Can the hearth be built out a bit more?

Look at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. It side loads. And there is the Hearthstone Manchester II - 8362. There is also the Jotul F500 v3 but the track record for this version has not been well established yet.
Thanks for the reply. The hearth can’t come out be the room isn’t deep and it wood be too far in the way. Is there any way to make the Efel more efficient? Could I add firebricks, create a secondary burn system for it, or even just add a blower?

The stove heats amazing, I just want to save on the amount of wood (and splitting) I need to do over the next 20 years