Replacing fan in a Quad 5100i insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So I've got a fan that needs to be replaced in my 5100i. I stopped by my local dealer but no one was in (I guess because it's high summer) so I did some on line searches when I got home and the prices I'm getting are right around $140 or so not including shipping (Blackswan and somewhere else I think). One of the online dealers had a pic of the fan and it's a Rodale AC Axial fan, part number FP-108-1. I've taken the bad fan out of the insert and there are no model numbers or any other product info on it but it looks to be the same design and material as the pic of the replacement fan on the on line dealer web site. I researched the manufacturer and part numbers I took from the picture of the Quad fan at the on line dealer and have found a source for the same model at several different places on the net, prices range from $15.95 to about $25.95. So I'm willing to take a gamble on the $15.95 plus shipping for the fan available through a non-stove dealer.............but wanted to get a reality check from you guys first before I pulled the trigger. Is there anything I'm missing or not taking into account?

Looks like it's about a 100cfm, 5" axial fan. There are plenty of substitutes. For top quality, I would recommend a Pabst, ball bearing unit as a replacement or equivalent. For a substitute example a Dayton (Grainger DAYTON 2RTK6) looks like it would work and at $37.80 it's a tad less expensive. If you chose a substitute, make sure the specs are close and mounting hole dimensions are the same.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Axial-Fan-2RTK6?Pid=search
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Square-AC-Axial-Fan-3VU65?Pid=search

Some manufacturers of products remove labels from internal components so you have to go to them for replacement parts. I'm not sure if they did and if so I'm not sure if that's even allowed by UL standards.

I replaced both Axials on my 3100i only because I could not take the constant droning of the factory ones. I replaced with Daytons (Grainger) and am very pleased,... I think I paid 12-15 dollars p/fan.

I know this post is old but maybe it will help someone. I have a Quadrafire 5100i bought in 2006, fans were dropping off in there effectiveness now being 2013. Saw the price from a similar website as oiginal poster provided around $180.. crazy talk. look at Jameco electronics for new ones. I removed my two existing fans and both were the same Made in Tiawan by Rodale AC Axial fan, part number FP-108-1 - same as original poster. found company out in California that sells the replacement fan with to the best of my knowledge the same exact fan specs. I picked up two of these and replaced my fans. Definite improvement of the stock ones, not by leaps and bounds but back to the same fan output I had on day 1 of use. Also the drone noise is less but maybe that's just me. Since this unit takes two fans, unplug one and put a new one in and you can feel the difference from the original to the new one from the top out vent port.

At the time of this post I bought two fans and shipping came to under $50.

Model number is slightly different from my original - where it says RC-A12M15UTB, my original one the last 3 digits were different. This is very simply plug and play, no splicing of wires. cramped space to get them out and in but otherwise if handy with a screw driver pretty simple fix.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2129588_-1

SpecificationValue
Voltage (VAC)115
Noise (dBA)45
Length (mm)119
Width (mm)119
Height (mm)38
Air Flow (CFM)

SpecificationValue
BearingBALL
Current (mA)200
Power (Watts)19
Agency Approvals
UL/CSA/CE

fan image.jpg

Interesting, I have a 4100 I Quadrafire insert and the lower prices found for the different fans in the 5100 I looks like good news. My 4100 I may be approaching time for a new fan and if prices are anywhere close to those for the 5100 I, it may be wise to buy on and have it on hand.

On the other hand, I expected the fan to last 10 years, and it is now less than half that old. I use my insert every year but burn only when it is below 30 degrees in central New Jersey. I suppose that is no more than 60 days a year...rough estimate. And when I burn I do not run 24 hours a day and will estimate that I average closer to 12 hour burns for those days it goes below 30 degrees at sunset. Some runs may be as low as 8 hours others upwards of 20 hours. Thus my hours of run, with minimal start/stop, is 12 x 60 = 720 hours a year or about 7 thousand in 10 years. With that estimate I think the fan should be good for 10 years, unless the original equipment is of very poor quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.