Replacing Fire Brick in my Quad 5100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
I bought my Quad 5100i used about three years ago and the brick is starting to look a little ratty, a few in the back with the hole in 'em have broke in half. Before the season really started I was going to look at replacing them but my local dealer went out of business and I had a hard time finding a set of bricks on the net and when I finally did they retail for $150.....and they look like they are a different pattern and layout than the ones in there (maybe for a newer model). So am I being too anal? Will any brick just cut to size work? any advice is appreciated......

They should be standard brick. The ones with a hole may prove troublesome I have never drilled brick. Those 2 bricks are going for $44. Being that a 6-pack of brick goes for about $20 I think I would try and drill a hole. But if it's only those 2 brick it may be easier to just buy them. I use a masonry blade on a chop saw to cut mine but a circular saw or tile saw would probably work as well. Soak the brick in water for an hour or so before cutting and it will cut easier and keep dust down.

Most stoves today contain one of two brick types: the standard "hard" clay brick or the "soft" pumice type brick. I am not sure what Quad uses in their stoves. Someone with more insight will let us know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.