Replacing Heat n Glo gas fireplace with Harmon Accentra Insert question about the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arpenn

May 16, 2008
Southwest Missouri
As the title indicates I am replacing a built in Zero Clearance Heat n Glo 6000XLT gas fireplace with a Harmon Accentra Insert with Zero Clearance Box. My question is in the flue. My gas fireplace has a direct vent flue that goes up through my roof. The direct vent flue has a inner liner that is 5" and an outer that is 8" (Double Wall) The inner vented the exhaust from the gas fireplace and the outer was the fresh air intake for the fireplace. My question is can I attach the flue from the Pellet stove to the inner 5" of my existing flue, or will I have to run a new 3" or 4" pipe up the existing flue? I am sure this is as clear as mud.

Thanks,
Aaron

Gas vent is not approved for Pellet exhaust. It is aluminum, whereas Class L (Pellet) is stainless steel.

Furthermore, I'd have questions about even running a single wall pipe up through it unless that was an installation approved in the Harman manual or by the factory engineers (by fax). I have never heard of relining a gas vent for pellets.

If you wanted to leave the old gas flue in place, you'd probably have to run a double wall pellet vent up the middle of it. Or, remove it and do the same......

Yeah he is right, technically you can't run a single wall flex liner up through a gas vent. It would have clearances and I'm sure it would be fine but technically its not approved. If the run is straight up you could run the normal type L vent up through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.