Replacing huskee hyd fluid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
A crack developed in my tank at the motor mount on my huskee splitter so i drained the fluid to weld the small crack. No big deal just a slow ooze that got on my nerves dripping on my garage floor. Any way good time to chang the fluid. What should I use? Tag says universal hydraulic fluid or dexron. I mamage part time at Advance auto parts so fluid avalibility of any kind is not a problem. So what to use? Id say i rarely split below 25F.
AW-32, AW-46, Dexron , Dexron with lucas trany fluid conditioner, R&O, Hydratrac, motor oil or something else i didnt mention?

Tranny fluid is nice but expensive. Motor oil will work too. However I would just pour through filter and put back in. No reason to ever change it in something as low tech as a log splitter. Those Huskies are noted for cracking the tanks. Do you pull on the road alot?

Pull a little. Some guys stole it from the guy I bought it off of and rough housed it pretty good. The insurance bought the guy a new one anf then later the police recovered and returned the splitter. So i bought it for $600. dude got a new splitter and 600 bucks in his pocket and i got a good deal. Runs great just an anoying leak. I gave the fluid to a friend how runs used oil through his furnace so it has to be replaced.

FWIW, the manual in my 2009 build Huskee splitter recommends SAE 20 hydraulic oil (ISO 46 equivalent). It also recommends ATF for splitting in temperatures below 32F.

Me? I've been using SAE 10W-20 hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply without issue. I also store my splitter in a minimum 50F garage during cold months.

Status
Not open for further replies.