Replacing kill switch wire on Sthil MS290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodGirl

Oct 18, 2021
Virginia
I am looking for some guides on replacing the kill switch wire on my MS290. I see the wire goes from the switch down below the carb and disappears. Do I need some type of wire fish to do this job or do I need to remove the carb or what. I tried a YouTube search to see someone else doing the same job but didn't have any luck.

Will probably have to take of the recoil assembly and flywheel. Then you can see the wire from the coil to the switch. Well it's not really a switch but on your kill lever

Between the years old recoil issue and now this, even more of a reason to bring it to a stihl dealer.

Learn to support those businesses....they deserve it!

Between the years old recoil issue and now this, even more of a reason to bring it to a stihl dealer.

Learn to support those businesses....they deserve it!
Most Stihl dealers don't want the business of working on old saws...
They just try and sell you a new one,and at the prices they charge for labor it is probably cheaper.

I am looking for some guides on replacing the kill switch wire on my MS290. I see the wire goes from the switch down below the carb and disappears. Do I need some type of wire fish to do this job or do I need to remove the carb or what. I tried a YouTube search to see someone else doing the same job but didn't have any luck.
Hi WoodGirl
Whats wrong with your wire?
If it is bared off get some heat shrink and cover the bare spot.
Can you post a pic of the issue?
By the way how is the recoil issue?

Most Stihl dealers don't want the business of working on old saws...
They just try and sell you a new one,and at the prices they charge for labor it is probably cheaper.

Sounds like you have some ruthless dealers up there............

Sorry about that.

I have never been told "that saw is too old, we don't want to work on it"

You don't have to have a working kill switch anyway, right? Once it is in the on position, leave it alone and choke it out to shut it off,

Sounds like you have some ruthless dealers up there............

Sorry about that.

I have never been told "that saw is too old, we don't want to work on it"
only one dealer $120.00 an hour the last time i saw their rates
I get a few saws that they have turned away because of those reasons
021 from and old lady that used it at her cabin,got it for $40.00 she bought a new saw because she was told too old not worth fixing.Choke needed adjusting.
Old friend of the famaily,031 that wasn't oiling "too old buy a new saw.The paint hadn't even been worn off the bottom of the saw,needed a $15.00 plastic gear that they would not look for." parts not available he was told.
Get on a chainsaw site and you will see that it is common for dealers to try and sell a new saw instead of fixing old models.

Reactions: duramaxman05
021 from and old lady that used it at her cabin,got it for $40.00 she bought a new saw because she was told too old not worth fixing.Choke needed adjusting.
Old friend of the famaily,031 that wasn't oiling "too old buy a new saw.The paint hadn't even been worn off the bottom of the saw,needed a $15.00 plastic gear that they would not look for." parts not available he was told.
Get on a chainsaw site and you will see that it is common for dealers to try and sell a new saw instead of fixing old models.
I work on a lot of stuff for the same reason. I understand dealers have to charge but it's up to the owner to say if it's worth fixing or not. I worked on a stihl 028 farm boss and the guy said,you might think I'm crazy, but I want to redo this saw. So what ever it takes. I said ok. Come to find out, it was his grandpas saw

OK, I think we had this conversation in another thread. Sorry you have no good dealers around you.

Or....maybe I am just fortunate to have an outstanding dealer near me? They are very reputable.

you also have to remember there is no choice up here.
45k population most in one town.The stihl dealer is so happy with their current business that the Stihl sign has slowly broken over the years and is just an empty shell with a light bulb in it.