replacing my old kresno powermatic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pl@yer

Hearth Supporter
Sep 15, 2009
NB Canada
Hello everyone, First post :)
I am replacing my old Kresno Powermatic wood stove. It has heated my house for the last 5 years (4 cord seasoned maple and half tank of oil for the furnace).
My house is a 2k square foot split entry, very well insulated with new windows.
I am looking for something that will give me an overnight burn. I have decided on the Drolet HT200 but am starting to worry about it being too much stove.
Like to hear you opinions.

TIA
Steve

I heat 2,500 sq. ft. with a stove pretty much the size of the HT2000 that I assume you are talking about. I am in a milder climate but have the stove half in/half out of a masonry fireplace. Fully loaded at each reload it would run us out of the joint but most of the time I load it half full or so. Get the same overnight burn of a 2.5 cubic foot stove without having to sleep in the garage. On the days where it stays in the 20's and goes to the teens at night I load'er up and let'er rip.

I think that stove will do fine for ya.

doh! Yep that was supposed to be ht2000. We see -4F here fairly regularly over the winter so I imagine I will be loading her up on those days.
Thanks for the info!

Steve

My neighbor is telling me that the ht2000 is too much stove for my house. We have the same type/size house. He is using the osburn 2000 which has a 2.3cu foot firebox and that is certainly enough stove for his house and he gets long burn times with it.
I'm starting to think I should maybe go with the escape 1800 it also has a 2.3cu foot firebox. I can't seem to find many reviews for the escape however, and am wondering if it will give me an overnight burn.
Also I should mention the woodstove is in my TV room.

Update:
After having several more people tell me I was foolish to be buying such a big stove, I caved. Bought the escape 1800 hopefully it will be a good stove. I'll be sure to add a rating for it (after some use).

Status
Not open for further replies.