Replacing old Scandia, new Stove Setup Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shRED50

Dec 18, 2017
Ohio
So I bought my house and it has a Scandia 310C in it. Apparently it used to work but I've tried to fire it up 3-4 times with no luck this year. I had a new stainless steel 8" liner put in over the summer as well. I've tried sealing the stove up with cement but it still leaks smoke. So after some research and finding out how low quality it is, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to go. I've been lurking around here and it seems like the Englander stoves at Home Depot are great stoves for the price. I'm kind of torn between the 1800sqft and the 2400sqft models though. I have a 1600sqft house but I keep seeing that the 1800 model doesn't get a burn through the night. Can I run the 2400 model not at full blast without any consequences? Also, will putting a 6" stove into a 8" flue be ok? I've heard from some people that it's fine but I'll go through more wood because there's more draft. I'm new to wood stoves so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like the Madison (50 SSW01) would work, but the area a stove heats is subjective. There are lots of variables. What is the floorplan like? Is it open or are there a lot of rooms with doors? One or two stories? High ceilings or lots of glass area?

It sounds like the Madison (50 SSW01) would work, but the area a stove heats is subjective. There are lots of variables. What is the floorplan like? Is it open or are there a lot of rooms with doors? One or two stories? High ceilings or lots of glass area?

I've attached a rough floor plan of my house. The x is where the stove sits on a raised brick hearth with a brick wall behind it. The main rooms to heat are the living room and the kitchen/dining. Our main bedroom is directly above the kitchen/dining. Regular 8ft ceilings. The house isn't drafty but it could be better insulated upstairs.

I don't see the Madison for sale anywhere?
Replacing old Scandia, new Stove Setup Questions

By the sketch it looks like heat may have a tough time getting into the living room and upstairs due to the door, especially if that is a standard 3' doorway. A fan on the LR floor blowing into the kitchen would help a bit.

Home Depot carried the Madison last year I think but this season I don't see it. Lowes carries the same stove under the Summer's Heat brand.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2000-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove/999918844
You can also order direct from here, reconditioned or new with free shipping.
https://amfm-energy.myshopify.com/

Last edited: