Q&A Replacing or Repairing loose firebrick in stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Great site! I have a country place with a wood-burning stove about 30 years old. One of the bricks on the back wall has come loose and will not stay put. Is this dangerous? The place is in a fairly savage part of Canada and I don't want to go without my stove for too long. What is the procedure for replacing it? Another quick question: what holds the gasket on the doors? I can see that the day is coming that i will need to take care of that , too.

Answer:

Most firebricks in wood stoves are just sitting there...held in by ash and gravity. Others may be cemented in with refractory cement...either way, it's probably not any hazard. If it was cemented, get some furnace or refractory cement and set it back in place (wet all surrounding surfaces for better adhesion)

The gasket is held by gasket cement, available in stove stores and some hardware stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.