Warnock Hersey 1980 "Black Forest" Space Heater/Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lreuteri

Apr 26, 2024
Ontario, Canada
G'day all,
I picked up an old 1980 wood stove (*) with intentions to restore it for use in my sauna project.
On closer insepction, the label refers to asbestos cement board in its Clearances section. Ok.
So, I understand that "3/8 Asbestos Cement Board" was a common reference back then for clearance,
BUT
Could this stove contain asbestos in its cement or rope gasket (which I pulled/chipped out today with no mask on)?
I mean, 1980 is kind of walking the line as far as the ban on asbestos, right?

Attached is photo of the fireproof interior.

The stove looks rough I know, but there are no holes or cracks. Feel free to dissuade me, though!

Second question is: if it's not asbestos inside, would you recommend that I remove all the cement and re-cement or install fire brick?

Thanks!

(*) "Black Forest" model R-18 & R-24, Warnock Hersey, manufactured in Ontario, Canada by Onward Hardware, May 1980

PXL_20240426_225244447.MP.jpg

Warnock Hersey is the testing lab, not the manufacturer. Can you post some pictures of the whole stove with the door closed and of the UL label on the back?

@begreen thanks, can't figure out how to update my original post so I'll post the photos here. Last one is the plate, which I've already removed for cleaning (not sure I will restore this now, if the cement inside might contains asbestos)
PXL_20240427_154130676.MP.jpg
PXL_20240427_154147458.jpg
PXL_20240427_154203295.jpg
PXL_20240427_154216072.jpg
pxl_20240427_154623295-jpg.327052

PXL_20240427_154623295.jpg

If you don't put the plate back on it'll have to be 36" clearance all around.

Looks like it's 36" sides and back regardless.

The pictures help a bit. It looks like a small shop stove. This is the first time I have seen this stove or anything by Onward Hardware. The company is still in existence. Maybe give them a call.

Yes. I was mistaken by the 28.5" but that was corner.

Yet, if insurance is a concern (it might not be if the sauna is a separate small building - I know such things can be bought to build by oneself), you might want to keep the plate in as it shows it's ul listed.

It's a circa 1980 stove and Canadian. I would check with Onward Hardware on the asbestos potential. When in doubt, assume it's there.

Looks like it's 36" sides and back regardless.

The pictures help a bit. It looks like a small shop stove. This is the first time I have seen this stove or anything by Onward Hardware. The company is still in existence. Maybe give them a call.

I've send an e-mail but now I wonder if I will get an honest answer at all. If I was them I'd run from questions surrounding asbestos in their products, for fear of legal.
I like this stove, it's the right size for my purpose, has an ash drawer, no warping, lots of cosmetic rust waiting to be cleaned up. Just want to fix the cement properly, if it's safe to do so.

I had to chip, cut, and hack it out with drill/box cutter/screwdriver. Judging by the looks of the rest of the stove.....idk!
Yeah that's pretty normal

If you are using it in your sauna and are concerned about the large cracked masonry in the back, you could just patch it with refractory cement and leave everything else inside alone.

I have never liked ash drawers and would not want to deal with a leaking ash drawer on a 44 year old stove.. if it were my sauna stove I would be considering filling that hole in the middle with fire brick or castable refractory. Not filling the whole drawer, just covering up that grate with castable refractory to the level of the other masonry on the floor.

If you are worried about asbestos in the brick, work outside, work wet, and wear a mask. Wash your clothes and take a shower when you are done.

If you think you will be worried about asbestos every time you open the door of the stove.... then it really is not worth the trouble and you should think about a different stove.