Replacing Thelin Parlour pellet with PE True North 19

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtowoodstoves

Dec 3, 2014
Northern Ca
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum. Thanks for having me. I ran across an issue recently and decided to join the forum for troubleshooting and general knowledge in the future.
While attempting to replace my Thelin Parlour pellet stove with a newly purchased PE True North 19 wood stove, I became confused with my current stove pipe.
After pulling the Thelin out of the alcove, I noticed the pipe which runs from the bottom floor to the roof (appx 30ft) is 4" diameter 1/4" steel. Straight 1/4" steel pipe. One continuous pipe from floor to ceiling support box. The Thelin sits in front of the pipe and "T's" into the 4" with a 3" diameter section. After researching, I could not find any information about using 1/4 steel pipe in a home. Is this a dangerous set up? Safe? Anyone know of this being used? Would I be able to cut a section out at the floor, set the PE True North under and use an adapter (6" to 4")? It seems to me there would be too much weight from the pipe sitting on the stove if I placed the stove underneath. I'm leaning towards removing the entire pipe length and starting from scratch, but would have no problem saving money using the 1/4" pipe if it at all would work.
I am posting pics with the post. FYI, the alcove will be tiled prior to the installation of the True North.
Please excuse the sideways pics. For the life of me I could not figure out how to straighten them out.
Any opinions, idea's or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Jake

IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0473.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You can not decrease the pipe size usually. A replacement of the connector pipe is in order. It should be 6". 30ft of connector is a huge run. It must be done with double-wall connector pipe that matches the chimney brand. I would definitely add a key damper section in a lower section to control draft with this setup.

PS: How much chimney is outdoors? Is it 6 or 8"?

Status
Not open for further replies.