replacment fire bricks weigh a lot more than bricks removed from stove... normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
I assume it is just the moisture and other things burned out of the bricks when they are used in the stove?
or do different style of bricks weigh differently?

On page 21 of the manual it specifies:

When replacing bricks, use only pumas (sic) type fire bricks.

Yeah, lighter ones are generally insulating bricks (like in kilns) and heavier ones add thermal mass - they hold and conduct more heat rather than just acting as insulation. Did you buy the actual branded replacement bricks, or just generic ones?

BeGreen said:

BG the manual I downloaded from PE makes no mention of brick type just sizes used.. Perhaps they changed this?

Ray

raybonz said:
BeGreen said:

BG the manual I downloaded from PE makes no mention of brick type just sizes used.. Perhaps they changed this?

Ray

Yes, that statement was from the Enviro manual. PE uses pumice bricks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.