Req'd clearances and wall shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
Greetings

I am about to tile the walls around my wood stove (Resolute Acclaim) and have a question about 'wall shields'. The manual for the stove requires 8" from edge of stove to wall if the wall has a "shield". According to manual: "Shields must be spaced out from the combustible surface (wall) 1" (25 mm) on noncombustible spacers."

Now - if I move the stove 9" from the wall, can I tile the wall, thus still creating a 'shield' but not worry about the 1" spacers and just screw the cement board to the wall and tile the board? It seems that the "minimum" 8" clearance requires the use of 1" wall spacers; but if it is more than 8" - I still need a shield, but don't need the spacers. This would be soooo much easier. The manual doesn't talk about 'maximum' clearances. The stove must be 15" from an 'unprotected' (unshielded) surface.

does that make sense? wish I could insert a picture

I'm asking cuz' I will need the county to issue my wood stove permit and they are going to follow the instructions in the manual. I want to be sure that I can win the argument that 9" from the wall doesn't require spacers

thanks
Kelly

Cement board without the 1" air gap behind it is not a compliant wall shield. The 1" gap, open at top and bottom allows air to freely convect behind the shield. That is what protects the combustibles behind the shield. Note that the reduced clearance with a wall shield is measured to the nearest combustible so the stove can get placed 8" from the wall behind the shield if this is a corner installation. For a corner installation without the wall shields the closest the stove can be to the unprotected wall is 15", even if it is tiled.

Thanks Begreen

In re-thinking this after writing it out - it seems a wall shield w/ spacers is required up to 15" when no shield is required. sometimes I just need to write my thoughts down to think clearly! I should write a post - think about it for an hour or two then delete it w/o posting because I will have likely answered my own question! ;-)

back to designing this wall . .

appreciate the reply
Kelly

Thanks Begreen

In re-thinking this after writing it out - it seems a wall shield w/ spacers is required up to 15" when no shield is required. sometimes I just need to write my thoughts down to think clearly! I should write a post - think about it for an hour or two then delete it w/o posting because I will have likely answered my own question! ;-)

back to designing this wall . .

appreciate the reply
Kelly
Yup anything less than 15" to 8" needs a wall shield, the stove w/ a wall shield can go no closer than 8". There have been lots of creative wall shields I've seen posted here over the years, from corrugated metal, hammered copper, to the basic tile on cement board. Please keep in mind that when using tile, that you must use true mortar and not the synthetic adhesives that come in tubes, also same with stone choices, lots of materials that have epoxy's & plastic's in them, you need true non combustible building materials.

Reactions: Mnpellet
n6giUYHm.jpg

Hammered copper. It doesn't show up well in this pic but in person it is beautiful.