Requiem For The Chusky Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are cheaper nowadays because they are, well, CHEAPER!! They don't build anything with the lifespan or reliability that they used to, they WANT you to throw it away and buy new every couple years so as to 'stimulate the economy'. Look at the emission tag on the bottom of these newer OPE products, most have an 'hour' rating on them! From cars to kitchen appliances, nothing is built to last anymore......

Personally, I like to be able to choose whether to buy the cheapie model (if I only need to use it once or twice, but is still cheaper than renting) or the "lasts forever" model, if I plan to use it a lot and want to only buy it once. Twenty years ago there were many tools that I couldn't afford to buy in the first place, since there were no cheapie options.

TFrom cars to kitchen appliances, nothing is built to last anymore......

It's called planned obsolescence. Everything is built to last for a specific amount of time. For some things, I'd rather buy a throw away every couple years...for other things, I don't. Its nice to have the option to buy something inexpensively to fit your anticipated use. For example, I have a hammer drill that I bought at Harbor Freight. It stinks of ozone and I can almost feel the motor burning up every time I use it...which is about once a year. I think I paid 20 bucks for it, and it will last me a while. Had I bought a nicer Dewalt or Bosch drill it would have cost 5 or 6 times that...and I would have had over $100 tied up in a drill I use a year.

Keep in mind fellas, a lot of the 'cheapie' models are made in China, and that is where a lot of our money goes. And full circle, that is one reason why our country is in the condition it is in today. No 'cheapie' models for me, I wanna buy things that last. If I get to the point where I no longer need them, I sell them for darn near what I paid for them. No substitution for quality IMHO.

I got a husky 435 refurb for 149.00. I am about 3 cord into it no problems. good bang for the buck.
It is only 41cc but have not had to do anything but sharpen the chain.
Nice light saw too.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.