Required clearance from ceiling when thimble inserted through wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MI Feller

Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2010
Michigan
Currently running metal chimney through ceiling. Will be converting to a thimble thru wall with a new interior masonry chimney on the other side of the wall. Don't want to mess with the bricked overlaid heat shield behind the stove. If my installer thimbles through above this shield, the pipe will be about 2' below ceiling where it goes through the wall. Hard to say until they tear into the wall. Could be a little less. What's the minimum allowed from ceiling down to pipe? Am guessing 24". If so, is there insulated pipe which would allow you to get closer. Thanks for your ideas.

If it ends up at 24" from the ceiling it should be ok. 18" for single wall, 6" for double-wall. But these are minimum clearances. However, there's nothing wrong with being on the conservative side of these numbers. I prefer it.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
you could also use a pipe shield on the top section

Yeah, especially if you are running 8" pipe, which puts out a lot more heat than 6" at the same temp.

I have 8" pipe, plus I run higher flue temps (up to 650ºF) than folks with EPA stoves need to in order to burn clean. I have 20" of clearance to the floor joists above the stove in my basement. The same joists sit only 4 1/2' above the stove itself. The combined radiant heat from both pipe and stove, plus the convected heat rising up in that area, have brought the wood above the stove to 160ºF at times. I would never have known that without an IR gun because, even at that temp, the wood doesn't feel all that warm to the touch.

Wise to allow extra clearance where you can. What if you have a chimney fire and you cherry the pipe, probably 1400ºF at that color? Everything changes at that point.

I hung plumbing pipe strips and a piece of sheet metal with rockwool on top of it for protection for my floor studs in the basement. IR gun says they never get over ninety degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.