Rescuing An Old Silver Oak 215 Parlor Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was given this stove, while helping some friends move. They had lugged this stove from New York, then to England, and even Egypt while they worked over there. It came back with them, and they just used it for decorative purposes.

When I got it had so many coats of paint, that nothing would move. You can see how rusted out the can was on it. So after having it awhile I started on it

Burning off the nasty old paint, installing new lower pan, derusting the whole stove. This is how far I've gotten with it. Now I just need to get a few parts, and get the nickle plating done. It will be a sweet unit once complete.

IMG_6157.JPG IMG_6174.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pen
That is looking great!

It will be a sweet unit once complete.
Yes it will be beautiful. But what are your intentions with it? It is a coal stove and yes you can burn wood in it but it will chew through the wood as fast as you can feed it.

Yes it will be beautiful. But what are your intentions with it? It is a coal stove and yes you can burn wood in it but it will chew through the wood as fast as you can feed it.

Well, I have never seen wood burn as fast as I can put it in. LOL Well I do have coal, and no that it is primarily used for coal. Good sizes sticks can fit in the top of it. I am planning on using it in a small cabin I am going to build. It is only 12' x 18'.

Well, I have never seen wood burn as fast as I can put it in. LOL
Yes that was a bit of an exaggeration for sure I am sorry but it would be a much better coal stove than wood stove

Very true about wood consumption. my Comfort Stove (almost exactly the same) really prefers short logs. I cut half of a cord down to 8" and she runs better. I also added some 1/2" expanded metal to hold more embers on the shaker grate