resizing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mheller

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA

I'm a newbie, lurking for a few days, great forum. I want to add insert to existing masonary fireplace. The opening measures 27" w x 32"h x 22"deep, it tapers to rear width of 22". We have
1920's 2 story 2200 sq ft house, w/lots of big drafty windows. I'd like to get medium/large insert to do bulk of heating. I keep running into issues w/ existing firebox size when looking at inserts.

You guys are inspiring me to DIY. Looking for tips/advise on re-doing firebox. Like to cut bricks to make 3" wider on each side and demo inside. Then rebuild sides and rear to make it wider all the way back. Haven't decided on insert yet, leaning towards Lopi. Please check out pics. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 350
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 328
That's a tall and narrow fireplace, which limits insert possibilities. Based on your description, I think you need a big stove in there. Instead of an insert, how about a Hearthstone Mansfield? You will get nice long heating from the soapstone stove and it will visually fit right in.

PS: Get those windows fixed. Either take them apart and seal them or at least get good storm window on them. That's your best payback.

Begreen has the right idea. A large insert will be too wide for that firebox. A freestander will fit real nice in there.

Thanks for the input. Does it make sense to get a freestander and put it inside the fireplace so it only extends 6" or so onto hearth? It's either do this or have to re-do fireplace or hearth.

winter is coming said:
Thanks for the input. Does it make sense to get a freestander and put it inside the fireplace so it only extends 6" or so onto hearth? It's either do this or have to re-do fireplace or hearth.

Certainly does, that is the sort of setup that works really well if it is done properly.

Is the fireplace and chimney inside - centrally located - or is it on a wall? A free stander in an central fireplace can be a really fantastic heater - good radiant heat to the stove room off the part that sticks out, nice convection flow around the stove, and the radiant off the back of the stove warms your masonry so that it can even out your stove's thermal cycles and radiate heat into other parts of the house.

An external fireplace isn't as ideal, but can still be made to work pretty well.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.