Resolute acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husky345 vermont resolute

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2012
london, ontario
just wondering how u guys run your acclaim. Are u closing the secondary damper? I've been fiddling with mine. My woods fairly well seasoned. I don't have a moisture metre yet. I'm burning ash, hard maple, linden, cherry, polar and red oak which is only one season old. Right now I'm leaving the secondary open and just leaving the primary open a crack. My glass is staying clean however I can only achieve about a 6 hour burn time with a good load of wood. Is this normal? In order to use my secondary damper I have to leave the primary opened half or my glass gets dirty.

I loved my Resolute but needed something bigger for more heat. Definitely close the bypass damper, I'd prefer the air wide open with the damper closed to having the air a crack with the damper open, it's easier on the stove and you'll get longer burns. 6 hrs is good for this stove, that and the fact that your glass is dirty makes me think that your wood isn't seasoned well enough. What are your stove top temps when burning this way?

Im on the uphill side of the learning curve with proper stove use, so I will just report my findings.
I never use my damper plate. Only the primary lever in the front of the stove. Im gonna try switching it around though and see what it does. Maybe try fiddling a little with both.
I used the damper plate once on a full load of black locust. The stove was going into nuclear meltdown and I completely shut it down. Closed the damper all the way and the primary all the way and choked the fire out. If the option wasnt there I probably would have ruined the stove.
With this stove I think dry wood works best. Dry dry...but not ten year old dry rot dry.
Hard maple and Red oak and Green Ash take longer than one full year to season. For me here in NY.
You have mentioned pretty much my woodlot mix. Black cherry and linden and poplar and birch and white Ash are great one year woods. My 2 favorites are Black cherry and Birch. Black birch is my absolute hands down favorite burning wood. Two hardworking hardwoods are Beech and black birch. But you have yellow birch, river birch, white birch, gray birch, all of the Elms, all of the poplars and cottonwoods and softwoods(pinus)
Beech this winter so far is saving my butt for one year seasoned wood. It has surpassed the black birch and sugar maple in burn performance. And I split everything for this stove(resolute) 15-16" x 3-4" Small to medium splits cause I like Dry wood.
My sister just bought four cords of yellow birch from a vendor and Im jealous. I dont think it will work in her stove as well as mine would. Her stove is new and it works like a crematorium oven.

I loved my Resolute but needed something bigger for more heat. Definitely close the bypass damper, I'd prefer the air wide open with the damper closed to having the air a crack with the damper open, it's easier on the stove and you'll get longer burns. 6 hrs is good for this stove, that and the fact that your glass is dirty makes me think that your wood isn't seasoned well enough. What are your stove top temps when burning this way?
Stove temps are around 650

Status
Not open for further replies.