restack outside or leave in garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
I ordered some "seasoned" wood this fall. Just finished my 6 year old red oak, and broke into the cord of "seasoned" wood to find out that it's not so. Burning BioBricks (which are phenomenal by the way) and pallets now.

Question is -- I have a cord of the "seasoned" wood stacked in the garage. Do I restack it outside, or will it dry enough throughout the year in the garage? I split open a few pieces and they read around 25% on the meter.

Maybe I'll leave it in there until May, check it, and if the moisture content isn't really dropping I'll restack it outside. It's been in the garage 2 months already, so May will have been a total of 6 months.

Opinions?

25% isn't too bad...I've burned 25% oak with no problems

I wouldn't move it, but I also wouldn't stack wood in my garage.

It would depend upon what this new wood is. If oak, then I'd move it outside. Probably most others I'd just leave it in the garage until next fall.

trguitar said:
Question is -- I have a cord of the "seasoned" wood stacked in the garage. Do I restack it outside, or will it dry enough throughout the year in the garage? I split open a few pieces and they read around 25% on the meter.

Question is, how is air circulation in your garage? If air is moving the water will dry out. Maybe leave the door open when you're home?

For best results move it outside on sunny days and bring it back in the garage at night and during inclement weather.

ironworker said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
For best results move it outside on sunny days and bring it back in the garage at night and during inclement weather.
Funny :lol:

This sounds like something that would be found in a user's manual that came with the wood. :lol:

aroth said:
ironworker said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Funny :lol:

This sounds like something that would be found in a user's manual that came with the wood. :lol:

I know that sounds funny but it is exactly what I'm doing today. This is my $15 cart courtesy of HF wheels on special and some spare wood and steel rod laying around.
Just add a small fan to your garage to ensure you are getting the air circulation you need. I use an old 3 watt computer fan. It's not much but plenty to take fir down 20% in a couple of months.

Inside a garage in winter in Mass, your RH might easily be in the single digits which really help drive the moisture out.
And even though practice is to use your MM on the inside of a fresh split, the reality is that if the moisture content is 15% all around the outside and gradually increases to 25% towards the center, the average %moisture is less than 25% so the wood could be OK to burn. Use a scale and you can see how fast your wood loses moisture in the garage. I have seen the scales for less than a MM.

Attachments

• DSC_4658.jpg
    DSC_4658.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.