Restacking my woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Since joining this site a few months ago, I've realized how poor my wood stacking is. Thanks Guys!!!

What I had was 6 "rows" of mixed splits and rounds stacked on the ground tight against one-another.

I cut some 12 ft. 2x4's braced them on the ends and middle 14" wide which gives my bottom row a 4" ground clearance. So far so good. I'm starting in the middle rows.

What I have found besides bugs and a couple of snakes... is how cool and damp it is there. Many of my splits have a thin line of mold around the edges. I know this in not good.

Most was cut Dec-Feb so I hope it will be seasoned for next winter's burning season. I'll be ready with the moisture meter in November.

I have less than 1/2 cord of seasoned wood to carry over to next winter.

Your doing the right thing. Get it off of the ground, stacked, with plenty of sunshine and wind. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.