Restoring a late 70's Grandpa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peavey

Mar 10, 2014
Maine
Recently purchased a grandpa bear, it is in good shape but has some minor surface rust and a few fire bricks need replacing. I have read a lot (mostly on this forum) but still have many questions on these stoves. So, to start off, I want to bring the stove back to "like new" condition before moving the 450+ lbs of grandpa in my basement.

What should I use to paint or polish the stove with once all the rust is gone? I read that Stove Bright metallic is the correct product to use. Now, I think the doors are cast iron and I have also read that you should use stove polish on that. I don't know if I should use one or both. Lastly, Were any of the fir trees or the Fisher name originally painted white?

I have grown-up with wood stoves but haven't used a Fisher before and this is definitely the best built stove I have ever seen! Hopefully I can get many years of warmth out of her.

Due to the 20 inches of snow we've got so far today I have had time to read some more on here and I have answered one of my questions. Coaly did state in a thread somewhere that this stove was originally all black. So now my lingering question is what should I use.. Stove Bright or Polish or both?

Stove Bright Satin Black is closest to original. Doors too. (they were not highlighted with paint) No stove polish was used on Fishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.