1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Restoring an old, french woodburning fireplace

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by alfie, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfie

alfie New Member

Hi there,

I'm trying to restore a wood burning fireplace of a type I've not come across before.

The fireplace is fairly small, with a marble and plaster mantel. There is no hearth to speak of. All that remains of the grate is a flat, metal plate that sits about an inch of the ground with an air space underneath. A retractable metal screen can be lowered by degrees all the way down to completely cover the fireplace. It is a 19C fireplace, we think from around 1840. There are 3 in the house, which is in Pyrenees-Orienthales.
    Do you know what sort of grate and hearth a fireplace like this should have? Should there be an ash pan a fret or even a dog grate above the base plate?

I'd be very grateful for any advice you might have! I've attached a picture...

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

• fire.JPG
      fire.JPG
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.