Returning to open fireplace (Australia) - liner and chimney height extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

teebee

May 22, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all, new to the forum. I've searched but can't find a conclusive answer so apologies in advance if this is obvious.

We've moved into a house built in the 70s and removed the broken gas heater, which was fitted into the original brick fireplace.

We want to occasionally use the fireplace as an open fire, as we have other daily heating covered. It's really just the novelty/charm of an open fire on occasion.

I had a chimney sweep come to inspect and clean the chimney - he cleaned it and said we'd need to extend the height of the chimney by between 1m-1.5m to get the fire to draw properly. Other than capping for rainproofing, he didn't suggest anything else we'd need to do to start using the fireplace.

I've since read about liners and am confused. It doesn't seem to be common in Australia to line an open fireplace chimney, as products are rare and seems to only relate to when fitting a stove in an existing chimney. Is this correct? I don't want to be unsafe, but from what I've been able to gather, it appears liners are important with stoves - not open fireplaces - as stoves output a different kind of heat and exhaust composition.

I will extend the chimney myself with brickwork, and cap to exclude rain. Some photos are attached for reference: the exterior (massive chimney footprint versus actual flue size; the top of chimney where I'll extend the brickwork (currently covered with some cement sheet); fireplace (with brickwork holes from gas and power to patch); and throat.

Thanks for any advice,
Tom

Attachments

• Returning to open fireplace (Australia) - liner and chimney height extension
    IMG_20180522_090938.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 233
    IMG_20180522_091038~2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 236
    IMG_20180523_092259.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 223
    IMG_20180523_092313.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 226
    IMG_20180522_091026.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 218
So after extending your chimney another 1.5 m, what does that make the height of the chimney? And the inside dimensions of the chimney flue is 30 x 30 cm?? In the States, whether it is a stove or fireplace, a stainless liner and insulation is usually required, by code for safety. As long as the chimney height, flue dimension, and fireplace size is correct, it should burn fine. Can't speak about any of your safety codes.