Reusable Grocery Bag Rant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the fellow who posted the Aldi comment. Aldi has by FAR the highest quality plastic bags, and I'm not apt to get many of them, because it's either 10 or 25 cent each. I then get probably 1-2 years of use out of those for various things (kids' sleepover clothes, etc.) However, I have bags and bags full of the standard cheap grocery store plastic bags, that eventually fill up way too much space in my house then get brought back to the store for recycling.

I will never again buy one of those logo-infested "go green" reusable bags, for one reason being I hate all the "go green" folks who then refuse to hunt their own meat or grow their own vegetables, and keep their oil thermostat at 74 all winter. However, the main reason I won't is that I wasted my money on two of these, and the handle broke off of both of them with less weight than I would put into a cheap wal mart plain plastic bag.

We don't have to pay "extra" for bags here, not yet anyways. I am sure they figure a percentage into the groceries prices to cover the bags.
They are cheap, leak and not worth a damn. But they do have recycle bins for the used bags. We usually reuse them for bathroom trash cans etc.

We use the plastic ones for the cat litter. Finally found some of those enviromentaly friendly ones that disintergrate within 6 months for the price of $4.00 for 20 bags. I know that these bags went out of favor because of their short life-span. they litteraly disintergrate within months. But if they were massed produced and people get used to using them? Then why not??

Just can`t fathom why these bags are not more common? I mean, you have to turn them over rather quickly, which should mean more sustained production and hence more profit for the manufacturers.

Looks to me like this is just another silly example where Corporate America is dropping the ball?

Ah, well, maybe China will come to the rescue?

Makes me want to vomit--how about the rest of you??

karri0n said:
I will never again buy one of those logo-infested "go green" reusable bags, for one reason being I hate all the "go green" folks who then refuse to hunt their own meat or grow their own vegetables, and keep their oil thermostat at 74 all winter. However, the main reason I won't is that I wasted my money on two of these, and the handle broke off of both of them with less weight than I would put into a cheap wal mart plain plastic bag.

LOL....I love to hunt and eat most of my vegetables out of the mason jar they were canned in over the summer.....and even though I hate the logo I still use them. I just wish they would give them to me for free, or at least give me a nickle or a dime for not using their plastic bags.

GarryP said:
karri0n said:

LOL....I love to hunt and eat most of my vegetables out of the mason jar they were canned in over the summer.....and even though I hate the logo I still use them. I just wish they would give them to me for free, or at least give me a nickle or a dime for not using their plastic bags.

That is what I am saying why should I have to pay the same price even if I bring my own bags? Same as why should I get to pay full price and be my own cashier?
We do not just throw them away they get used as trash bags in our little cans IE bathroom, by the couch and chairs in the living room. It is not that I am Anti-Green I am just not green enough for somebody else to make extra profit off of me.

Agreed, and we use those bags in our small trash cans too.

Here's a different take on those U-Scan checkouts - have you seen those coin machines where you dump your coins in and you get back 91% of your money? I just use one one of the U-Scans and plunk my coins in- sometimes several dollars worth! Or until a line develops behind me! (I imagine them emptying the unit and dealing with my coins!)

crazy_dan said:
GarryP said:

That is what I am saying why should I have to pay the same price even if I bring my own bags? Same as why should I get to pay full price and be my own cashier?
We do not just throw them away they get used as trash bags in our little cans IE bathroom, by the couch and chairs in the living room. It is not that I am Anti-Green I am just not green enough for somebody else to make extra profit off of me.

I actually prefer the self scan as I can scan my purchases faster than the clerk and I'm not going to screw it up. Not to mention shorter lines. I'm all for time efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.